ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brand new Cup - A Sad Tale

Black 200 Cup

Ordered one of the last Cup172s, since production has now finished I ended up
getting a mondial blue one as the last silver ones destined for the UK had been
sold. Went to pick it up on Friday, car looked fantastic in blue and I was
generally impressed. I read and inwardly digested the owners manual and noted
the running-in instructions; its tough keeping below the 3500 rev limit/80 mph
max but hey, I can take a bit of discipline and it was nice cruising about
knowing how much is in reserve once those initial 1000kms have been completed.

Now for the sad news; at 211 miles I noticed a horrendous noise coming from the
steering. Any amount of lock induced a groan and at idle with the steering
pointing straight-ahead it sounded like a boiling noise/chattering.(!) no
warning light. So...I immediately pulled over and checked under the bonnet. No
power steering fluid in the reservoir - looked underneath and the car has pumped
it out all over the underside. I called the AA - no record of the car (yet) but
theyd send someone out anyway. All credit to them, the guy arrived within 10
minutes and I got a text message to confirm his imminent arrival. He diagnosed
that the union between the fluid reservoir pipe and the pump had *NEVER BEEN
TIGHTENED UP AT THE FACTORY*, it took approx three full turns to nip up tight
and is fairly awkward to get to. The reservoir was then re-filled with fluid and
I was on my way again.

Now this has lowered my confidence in the car for obvious reasons and in the
quality control methods used by Renault. Does anyone have an opinion on this
sorry tale and how the hell this could happen? Later on today Im going back to
the dealers and at the least Im going to be demanding a ground up inspection of
the car(isnt this supposed to happen at least twice before I take it on the
road??) The second reason Im posting this is that Im concerned that this loss
of fluid will have caused damage to the pump or rack or contamination of other
parts of the car (especially brakes). Any thoughts on this?
Finally, there is a sensor right near the union that leaked...what does this do?
Shouldnt I have got some warning *before the audible one* that the fluid had
disappeared?

Thanks in advance for any input, as you can probably imagine Im impressed and
disappointed in fairly equal measure right now.

Cup 172

At least it was something simple, that could be easily rectified. I dont think you will have damaged anything as you pulled over immediately.

See what you can get out of the dealer, but dont let it spoil your enjoyment of a great car.

Welcome to Cliosport:)

Nissan R35 GT-R

I has EXACTLY the same problem as you.

The boiling sound, the fulid on the floor etc. Mine had to go back to Renault, but I think the pump may have been replaced as a result of running for a while with no fluid (limped it to a car park so I could still watch the second Matrix film).

I knew it was power steering when I called the AA (who were also great), but no warning light was displayed. Nice!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

In perspective though it wasnt really a big problem with the car, Yes this kinda thing shouldnt be happening.

Glad you got it fixed, not sure about any long term problems that you might have, dont think so though.

Enjoy your car and dont worry about anything going wrong, thats why you have a 3 year warranty ;)

Black 200 Cup

Took it back, they were great...ushered me through for a quiet word with the service manager and then a courtesy car (1.2 16v Dynamique) was rustled up pretty quickly. Service manager said that hed like to take it in overnight for a ground-up check and clean-up, which is what I expected. So far, so good and its hardly the dealers fault after all. Im slowly losing that *gutted* feeling too.

One more night of dreaming about those three yellow digits instead of doing some more running-in...grr!

:)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

youve got 3 years warranty so even if it had damaged anything it would have been picked up in the 3 years im sure.sounds like you were a bit unlucky there.the production line robot obviously didnt tighten up the union enough and its worked loose.least the dealers been helpful enough though.

Black 200 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 16 December 2003
youve got 3 years warranty so even if it had damaged anything it would have been picked up in the 3 years im sure.sounds like you were a bit unlucky there.the production line robot obviously didnt tighten up the union enough and its worked loose.least the dealers been helpful enough though.

4 missed turns on a union nut is a meh, cant be bothered type robot rather than something that has worked loose ;). Supposed to be sealed for life according to Service Manager.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i didnt say it left it 4 turns loose just didnt nip it up fully and the vibrations of the car have made it come loose and start to wind out.the robot must have had a good session on the battery acid the night before(that stuff would give you a hangover!).

Have you seen pics of the Dieppe factory where they make the RenaultSport modles?, aint no robots there, it looks like a big old shed with car bits scattered about ! :)

Black 200 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Jonathan on 16 December 2003

Have you seen pics of the Dieppe factory where they make the RenaultSport modles?, aint no robots there, it looks like a big old shed with car bits scattered about ! :)
Yeah..thats what I thought... Im sure I got a whiff of Disque Bleu when I opened the bonnet the first time. ;)

All has been well since I got it back and were only 20 miles off completing the 625 mile run-in period. Obviously, Im writing this while cramming food in my mouth before i go straight back out. :)

Clio 172 cup 300bhp

SEE my post under Renault dealers it could be a more serious problem as thats what happened with mine at first! Id get your alternator bolt looked at and a locking one fixed it acts as mount and if it comes out your car will cut out! See my pst for full details