ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brands GP Race Report

Turbos.
Last week we were back at my home circuit in the Lotus Cup UK series, but this time on the more exciting GP circuit. Following the last race's woes, the team had to quickly get together the parts required to build another Duratec engine. It now has more off the shelf parts from Cosworth to help the bottom end.

We arrived the Thursday before the race weekend for a track day, our only opportunity to test. We had some minor difficulties cutting short running until the afternoon, with the starter motor packing up, but nothing fundamentally wrong and by the afternoon we were going well. It was first go for Adam Wilcox partnering with me, someone who had won the original Motorsport Elise series and was a successful British GT and Japanese Super GT driver. We left happy; the car was fine and from an ego point of view, Adam was about half a second slower than me.

Come Saturday's practice, the tide turned. Towards the end of the first lap, Adam lost all drive and had to coast back to the pits.

GOPR.jpg

With the Scholar engine builder there in support (given the previous history!), he found the timing wheel (a part under no stress and made out of billet steel) had sheared in half. Everyone was perplexed; Essex based Scholar made the dash to try and get there before qualifying. Sadly, they didn't make it in time. The next day, we'd be starting from 43rd on the grid.

The next morning we dreamed up the fairy tale of how we could win from the back. In reality, we'd do well to finish our first of three races. With such a big grid, the first challenge was to avoid all the drama. It is all very well being fast, but could we avoid all incidents? We needed safety cars, and luck. It was also hot; i was sweating in my race suit before we even started!

A rolling start meant i could begin overtaking after the first car had gone through the green lights. With the grid so big, i was well down the road, so relied on the team boss to radio when i could begin passing. Fortunately i missed the first melee, a French 2-11 driver spinning at Paddock. He was pointing the right way by the time i had got there!

GOPR9091.jpg

I then picked my way through the crowd and mess on the first lap. I dared not look in my mirrors as i jinked through the Production cars, i didn't want to know what chaos was behind me! However, i needed to be aware of a 2-11 that also didn't qualify, being driven by an ex-Caterham champion. We traded places throughout the mayhem, but by the end of the lap i was in front.

GOPR9108.jpg

GOPR9144.jpg

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-5153.jpg

As i made my way through the Production field, it was then to the more difficult cars in the 2-11 class, V6 class and my fellow Open class competitiors.

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-9898.jpg

And then i recieved my first bit of luck, safety car followed by...another safety car! A Production Elise had crashed round the back of the circuit, which was then almost collected by a Europa a few laps later.

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-9931.jpg

In a blink of an eye, i was now 10th and i could see the leader, my main class and series rival, in the train behind the safety car. Of course, there still the small matter of battling with the faster remaining cars. The car was also intensely hot in side, the slowing down behind the safety car turned the thing into a sauna and breathing was difficult.

GOPR99992.jpg

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-5256.jpg

Massive credit to the unbelievably quick Production car being driven by Rob Boston. The fact it is was almost as quick in a straight line as our car with a K-Series suggests he has found every loophole going, but nevertheless, respect!

GOPR9967.jpg

But with the fun over, it was the more serious matter of the top two cars being driven by experienced drivers with excellent race craft. My first challenge was a quick S2 Exige. Suddenly the heat wasn't an issue as adrenalin took over!

photo6.jpg

GOPR0561.jpg

I managed to squeeze past as he went defensive, and then had resulting oversteer on the exit of Graham Hill bend allowing me to slip by before we joined the GP circuit.

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-9978.jpg

With the pit window looming, i was struggling with the car. With the lack of testing, we had a pretty poor, understeery setup and the tyres were getting way too hot, only exacerbating the problem.

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-9969.jpg

But after getting the message over the radio to come in the next lap, i set the fastest lap of the race. I had to hand over to Adam, good timing as i was exhausted by the heat and concentration. I made the TV interviewer sit down next to me as i was too knackered to stand!

Frustratingly, the car was petulant for Adam; its switch-like clutch is even worse with heatsoak and he stalled the car trying to get away. It costed us 7 seconds and the lead. Adam did his best but found the car was struggling with the heat too; he also had the added complication of lapping cars whilst also being on the chase.

GOPR2247.jpg

GOPR2418.jpg

With another crash close to the end, they decided to red flag the race. Although Adam was gutted to not make an impact, i was over the moon with a) finishing a race and b) the finishing position considering where we started. Undoubtedly it wasn't great being 'robbed' of another potential victory, i managed to re-establish some belief in myself and the car.

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-5524.jpg

LOTUS_FESTIVAL_BRANDS_HATCH-5564.jpg

The next race is at Zolder which is our sole European round. Never been there before but am getting instruction there next Thursday in the Porsche. Fingers crossed it will set me up well for the race!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Quality report again, sounds like a cracking race - well done on the result! I am guessing / hoping the in car shots are grabs from video footage...?

Oil Burner
Good to see you guys over the weekend mate, and a superb result considering!

Nice write up mate. Works quite well with the onboard pics.

The onboard pics were taken with a GoPro2 on pic mode - it took one every 1 second. Which resulted in about 8000 stills i had to go through to find the cool bits lol.

Turbos.
The TV footage is now online. All the thrills and spills, and of course coverage of me coming through from the back of the grid. I've watched it a few times :eek:

[youtube]RLLxnvtYCTQ[/youtube]

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Fack you were properly on a tear! I liked where you were diving up behind the Europa and then the Europa spun \o/

Your stint was awesome.

Good skills. Love reading these post race reports.

What was the actual finishing position? Can't seem to see it being mentioned anywhere? Or am I being slow..

Turbos.
Cheers chaps. We finished 2nd. If my co-driver didn't stall the car coming out of the pits then we would have won.

Clio 172
Good job Rob, watched the TV footage and you looked like you were having alot of fun. Looks like your cars got some legs on it as well, loved the overtake into paddock hill with the commentator saying you might get a place and you went inside both the cars having their own battle (think it was for 6th)

The TV footage is now online. All the thrills and spills, and of course coverage of me coming through from the back of the grid. I've watched it a few times :eek:

[youtube]RLLxnvtYCTQ[/youtube]

Only just seen this footage!! Bloody awesome Rob! Shame it cuts out though before the end of the race..

Turbos.
If you open it up on YouTube then the ending is there on another Related Video. In truth though, not much else to show!

Overtaking both those 2-11s into paddock was fun. In fact, i have a bit of in-car starting from the first safety car restart of that...

[youtube]76IfTlakcYM[/youtube]