ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Britain's biggest ever fuel station opened today.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...st-ever-petrol-station-opens-for-service.html

Cobham_1583364a.jpg

Near Cobham, Surrey, on the M25.

1.3 million litres of Fuel, 36 pumps, 141 nozzles, 3,400 customer capacity per day.

David Wood, Shell UK marketing manager, said 150,000 cars would be passing by the site every DAY.

But he insisted the oil giant was likely to make more money selling premium coffee and food from its shop than petrol.

He told the Sun: “The margins on petrol are pretty slim.”

Is petrol taxed that much? Really?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A guy I do business 'owns' a texaco petrol station and he said its lucky if they break even on fuel. All their profit comes from the mini mart inside.

Listerine & Poledo
£1 in every £30 goes to the garage.

Although, being Shell, the company as a whole gets another slice of the money. Tax is the biggest single earner from the pumps

WRX
In order for petrol stations to get an alcohol licence, their turnover has to be predominantly non fuel.

PB Clio 172
Passed this yesterday looks massive !

Can't see how they make money, I would never buy anything in a petrol station, daylight robbery :mad:

Rocket 3,CB-1,Yaris
Impressed they actually finished it roughly on schedule, that average speed zone was bloody annoying when it was in place, all the morons slowing down like a mile before it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My local shell has about 8 pumps, more staff than pumps and yet they still manage to take so long that ques build up regularly.

I also get really angry when they're trying to sell me sweets/drinks/chocolate.

*my best indian accent* 2 redbull for £2 sir? 2 bar of chocolate for £1 sir? drinks? 2 for £2?

FCUK OFF!!

the one on the M40 at beaconsfield also has 36 pumps and has been open for a long time ........... you would think shell would know thats theirs too.

i don't doubt there are other 36 pump stations in the uk .

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
But it's a service station on the M25 there the most expensive place to buy fuel for your car. IMO

Never stop if I can help it, if I do it's only enough to get me to the next cheaper garage.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wouldn't mind betting, with all this publicity, that it gets robbed pretty soon.

Even if the average customer spent £20 and they take 3600 customers a day..... Thats a lot of money to have in there!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Even if the average customer spent £20 and they take 3600 customers a day..... Thats a lot of money to have in there!!

agreed! although they will have a drop safe that the staff has no access to i recon so only be a few K available at any one time if anyone robs, better of filling up a few barrels and driving off lol!!!

not sure on the small local guys running forecourts but i see what a certain supermarket makes on fuel and i can assure you they do much better than breaking even ;) lol

Is petrol taxed that much? Really?

Maybe not so much that. Have you ever tried to buy a sandwich from one of these? Lol.

That's equal to at least 10 litres of fuel.

But it's the same as the lottery machines. Retailers barely make anything on them. Something like 5p per ticket. But then people buy food/fags etc etc.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Maybe not so much that. Have you ever tried to buy a sandwich from one of these? Lol.

That's equal to at least 10 litres of fuel.

But it's the same as the lottery machines. Retailers barely make anything on them. Something like 5p per ticket. But then people buy food/fags etc etc.

Lottery tickets are 12p for retailers. Although when the lottery first started the only 5 real winners were those who were the board members who were owners of the networks, paper, tills, software and machinery!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Lottery tickets are 12p for retailers. Although when the lottery first started the only 5 real winners were those who were the board members who were owners of the networks, paper, tills, software and machinery!!!

its 5% on all ticket sales, not sure on scratchcard sales