ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broadband Help

Sport 172
Morning,

Just wondering if there is a way of boosting the wireless signal on the Sky broadband modem.

I'm running three Xboxes off it in different rooms and sometimes I'm lagging on the likes of Call Of Duty etc.

Is there like an aerial I can plug into it?

The modem has RJ45 connectors on the back. Cat 5 cable ones.

Thanks

If your lagging are you sure thats not down to internet bandwidth, especially if there's a few of you using it at the same time?

You can buy another wireless box and set it up as a repeater/extender iirc. Sometimes its a pain to get working though.

Sport 172
Could be mate.

To be honest I'm open to suggestions as to why it's doing it and a fix.

It's only at certain times on an evening and I'm the only one in the game with a bad signal and red bar. I've got the best Sky broadband they do, 8Mb is it??

Clio Sport 172
Is there an option to login to the router and change the wireless channel? There should be 13 channels. Change it to 11 ;)

Sport 172
I could direct cable into the modem not a problem. The cables though would have to run down the stairs and I would have to disconnect then wen I wasn't playing on them. It's a rented house so can't be nailing cables in everywhere.

Was just looking to take advantage of the wireless side of things.

It's Sky broadband so I don't think there are any options for changing things unless anyone knows otherwise.

thanks

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I could direct cable into the modem not a problem. The cables though would have to run down the stairs and I would have to disconnect then wen I wasn't playing on them. It's a rented house so can't be nailing cables in everywhere.

Was just looking to take advantage of the wireless side of things.

It's Sky broadband so I don't think there are any options for changing things unless anyone knows otherwise.

thanks
I would try the direct cable first, then see if the performance is any better for you.

Then if it is good, buy two Devolo Plugs these, ive used them in many customers places and with excellent results, mostly plug and play.
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/devolo/

Worth the money as you basically have the Ethernet though the electricity sockets, so it means you can "piggy back" many of them and eliminate wireless which is slower compared to ethernet.

Sport 172
I tried to hardwire into the modem and it was still doing the same on Call Of Duty by not conecting to games. So I've moved the modem into another room through a different socket and the wireless connection is fine now both xboxs and the laptop.

Not sure why it's all of a sudden working when I have put it in a different room and further away from the Xbox.