ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken Timing belt.

Basically doing a guy a favour here as I sold my 172(mk1) to him 2 years ago and I said Id try and get as much information for him as I could so here it goes.He had the timing belt done about a year ago as the title suggests it snapped.What they are saying is the fan belt broke which in turn rapped itself around the timing belt cover and somehow broke the timing belt.Is this possible?Has it ever happened to anybody on here as it sounds a bit far fetched to me.

Last edited:
To be fair to him I found out through another guy and I felt Id like to help him out a bit! The car I have to say was a gem and gave no trouble until now.Hes now looking at a big bill for an engine rebuild ! I just thought the 2 belts were completely seperate and if the fan belt snapped it would be an easy fix.

Last edited:
  RS Clio 200
nasty.. where bouts he based?
will be much cheaper if he goes to one of the greese monkey guys on here

Its quite common?Can you explain how? Based in southern Ireland.He'd nearly be better off getting the car shipped over and getting somebody half decent to look at it.

Last edited:
He also tells me the fan belt was replaced also when the timing belt was done.Does he have any comeback whatsoever?

CB600FS
Yeah it can, and has happened. Most dealerships/garages don't know to change the alternater belt on 36k (due to the water pump) not just the 72k Service so they have a tendancy to go

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
This is why an AUX belt should be changed well before the 36k service, the same as you wouldnt chance your cambelt to 72k

Lionel Richie
yep thats common, the cause IMO is due to NOT inspecting the condition of the aux belt tensioner, its normally this that fails which in turn causes the aux belt to go which then 9/10 times gets sucked into the cambelt

yoz is irish, and i'm half irish, could be a good excuse for a weekend bender/come over to fix the car lol!!!;)

Leon Cupra 300
Someone told me the cups dont have a tensioner on the AUX belt due to no aircon and a simpler arrangement. true?

Lionel Richie
you don't need to replace it mate, have a look, its uber simple, its just an M8 threaded bar with a dongle on the end basically