ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT Broadband Extension Socket Problem!

TT 225
I recently called BT to express the frustration at having a poor internet speed. After my delight of them performing a quick speed check they found that we were recieving a super fast speedy broadband speed of just 300kbps. Anyway, an engineer was booked and after coming home i found a note from the engineer which stated:

"Broadband fine. Speed tested at 3mb (main socket). Fault caused by own Internal/external wiring.

Please move hub into master socket (Downstairs) and connect wireless."

BT Homehubs arent known for being that relaible for signal within our house. All our computers are used upstairs, ie. Xbox, Laptop and Desktop. Therefore our hub is upstairs into an external (not extension lead) phone socket.

So my question is: How can i get 3mb of broadband to my Homehub whilst its upstairs?

Thanks

Adam

Titanium 182
Run a cable from downstairs socket through the roof, or depending on whether the fault is with the upstairs socket or the wiring to the upstairs socket swap the downstairs socket for the upstairs one or rewire the house upstairs.

Punto/Clio GTT
i had a shitty wireless aswell, was getting about 2meg on a 16meg line. drilled hole in the ceiling and ran an ethernet cable through it, got a solid 16meg

TT 225
So my best bet is to try and get hold of stupidly long ethernet cable(S) and have them trailing all over the house :dapprove:. Would it be worth moving my main socket upstairs?

Listerine & Poledo
So my best bet is to try and get hold of stupidly long ethernet cable(S) and have them trailing all over the house :dapprove:. Would it be worth moving my main socket upstairs?

No, that's still going to be an extension.

get a seperate modem and router:-
Modem by the socket.
Ethernet wire into Router upstairs.

If this doesn't work for you, you might just have to talk to back away from the internet sometimes.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Test it first.

Move the hub to the main socket, ethernet to your laptop next to it, speedtest.

If its crap then get BT back, that main socket is theirs to fix.

Polo + Micra
home plugs if it's only for 3Mbit/s

something like this upsairs and a single port one downstairs by the router

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
openreach supply the socket, who although are technically BT wholesale.

When you talk about BT, you mean BT Retail, who arent openreach.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
openreach supply the socket, who although are technically BT wholesale.

When you talk about BT, you mean BT Retail, who arent openreach.

But to a customer, it's just BT. No customer cares how they have split there business up tbh

Tesla MP3 2021
BT are BT (Retail)
Openreach are Openreach
BT Wholesale are BT Wholesale

That's the end of that.

You can place an order with BTr to arrange for OR to come and move your master socket (NTE5) to another room in your house, and a mean move it, not run an extension!

As mentioned above, move your Home hub to your master socket and test from there, even take off the front face plate and connect your microfilter to the test point which is behind the front plate.