ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BT help

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]Moving into a new house in the next week, and have an existing line fitted. Nobody knows who it was with previously, however it has a Openreach master. On plugging a phone in, i have a tone, but on entering a few digits, I get 'number not reconised, please try again message.......... So, I presume its been cut off. I dont know the existing phone number. Just had a look on the BT site, and all I can find is about a NEW line, which I presume I don't need?? Am I going to have to ring Abdul in India?? (joy) :clown::dapprove:[/FONT] Basically i want it reconnecting, with broadband adding

Gaz.

182 Cup
Yes you still have to do it as a new line but tell them there is a socket with dial tone, they may be able to use your address to find out the existing routing that line uses and just make changes at the exchange thus not requiring an engineer to visit, although I've had a lot of jobs lately that have had this done but wrong so I've had to go out as a fault not install, all part of service providers trying not to pay Openreach for installs.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ah right, that gives me something to go at!

I presumed new line = new wiring to the house, which I dont need. :)

182 Cup
No you should be able to get away with just a line activation if the service provider gets it right, if not they'll do as I said and send an engineer out on a fault report rather than booking an install, just thought if you try dialling 17070 it might tell you the phone number so you can then tell whomever you choose as your provider.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
if there is a dialing tone, then there is a active/inactive line there, which means there wont be a charge to send an engineer etc.

also, you don't need to know the number, just call whomever you want to go with and tell them the address and postcode and they can run a techcheck on the address and find the line.

Bane of my life when non-bt customers call up with the intention of going with another provider, but want me to find out the status of the line! ask the other provider!!