ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTCC 2011 entrants

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Looks like a good year for the touring cars, I'm actually really looking forward to this season especially now the grid is full of different makes. :approve:

pinched off another forum said:
With F1 safely under way it's time to look to next weekend and the first round of the 2011 British Touring Car Championship. I'm sure that I'm not the only forum member who watches the BTCC so for anybody interested here's a round up of the entrants for 2011. There are 27 entrants registered with 10 different makes of car represented.

There'll be four different specifications of car on the grid this year.

Super 2000 specification - Cars like what they done been racing previous with 2.0 normally-aspirated engines.The teams still running S2000 cars are:

Silverline Chevrolet.
silverline.jpg

Much the same as last year with Chevrolet Cruzes driven by Jason Plato and Alex MacDowall. (Although for some reason the cars have been replaced with ones from last years WTCC).

Tech-Speed with GoMobileUK.com (Known last year as Sunshine.co.uk).
techspeed.jpg

Tech-speed have disposed of their ageing Integras and obtained the ex-Silverline Chevrolet Cruzes that won last years championship. Drivers John George and Paul O'Neill remain.

Team ES Racing.
esracing.jpg

A new team to the BTCC with a second-hand Chevrolet Lacetti. Driver Chris James has previously been racing in a Bini Cooper race championship.

West Surrey Racing.
wsr.jpg

Retain their BMW 320s and driver Rob Collard. Their second car will be driven by rookie Nick Foster who steps up from the BMW CSL Cup.

Geoff Steel Racing.
geoffsteel.jpg

Return to the BTCC after a several year absence with an ex-Airwaves BMW 320 and 2010 Clio Cup champion Dave Newsham.

Super 2000 cars with NGTC engines - Cars like what they done been racing previous but upgraded to the newer specification 2.0 turbo engines (with power equalised to the S2000 engines). The teams running these are:

Honda Racing Team.
honda.jpg

Return with the Civic and their driver line-up of Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden.

Team Aon.
aon.jpg

Have built themselves some newer model Ford Focuseses to S2000 specs with NGTC engines.They keep Tom Chilton but Onslow-Cole has been replaced by Andy Neate. They've also registered an entry for a third car with a yet-to-be-announced driver (rumoured to be Phil Glew).

Airwaves Racing.
airwaves.jpg

Have opted to replace last years BMW's with ex-Aon Ford Focuses. Mat Jackson remains and is partnered by ex-Porsche Cup racer Liam Griffin.

Triple Eight Racing.
888.jpg

Stick with the Vectra and James Nash and add a second car for ex-Porsche Cup racer Tony Gilham.

Pirtek Racing.
pirtek.jpg

pirtekSmith.jpg

Keep their TOCA NGTC powered Vectra and Andrew Jordan and add a second Vectra for Clio Cup racer Jeff Smith.

Special Tuning Racing.
specialtuning.jpg

Return with their Seat Leon and driver Tom Boardman. The TOCA branded NGTC engine they used last year has been replaced with a Seat/VW unit.

AmD Milltek Racing with YourRacingCar.
amdmilltek.jpg

Return with their Volkswagen Golf. Their NGTC engine has an extra 60bhp over their uncompetitive S2000 engine so hopefully they'll be more on the pace this year. Shaun Hollamby has stepped down from driving duties to make room for Tom Onslow-Cole.

NGTC - Next Generation Touring Cars. This is the new specification that's intended to replace the existing cars over the next few years. With the aim of bringing costs down these utilise identical TOCA-supplied suspension, brakes and gearboxes and the option of an unbranded TOCA supplied (Vauxhall) engine (Those not using the TOCA engine will still have to use an engine by the same manufacturer as their bodyshell). Engines are 2.0 litre turbocharged. The teams that have been enticed by the new regs are:

Dynojet.
dynojet.jpg

The 2010 Ginetta G50 champions step up to the BTCC with an NGTC Toyota Avensis for their driver Frank Wrathall. The development of their engine has been funded by Toyota.

Speedworks Motorsport.
speedworks.jpg

Another new team with an NGTC Avensis but this one uses the unbranded TOCA engine. Ex-Clio Cup racer Tony Hughes will be driving.

Rob Austin Racing.
robaustin.jpg

robaustin2.jpg

A new team with NGTC Audi A4s. They've been given dispensation to run the A4s as RWD because the standard championship issue FWD gearbox wouldn't fit the longitudinal Audi engine. David Pinkney is driving one car and the second driver is yet to be named. They're still hopeful of having one car ready for this weekend but the second one won't be finished in time.

Welch Motorsport.
Another new team. They've only just started building their TOCA powered NGTC Proton Gen-2 and are intending for driver Daniel Welch to start racing in the second half of this season.

BTC Touring - The oldest specification cars still eligible. These were going to be outlawed from this year but TOCA had a change of heart and decided that BTC cars that raced in last years championship would still be allowed to enter this year but with a 50kg weight penalty to encourage them to bugger off. Only one BTC car is on the entry list:

Team Wood Racing.
wood.jpg

Return with their Integra and driver Lea Wood. The cars undergoing a rebuild and isn't expected to be racing before June.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Oh yeah, which ones you going too? I quite fancy going to Oulton seeing as its the closest track.

182 Cup
gonna be a good season, i go to thruxton every year as its the closest round, would love to get to more rounds but at least tv coverage is pretty good.

Cupra
It's good that things evolve, but I still prefer the massively over wheeled look of this generation:

laguna2.jpg

Off the top of your head do you know the dates for this year?

1 Brands Hatch Indy 03/Apr/2011​
2 Donington Park 17/Apr/2011
3 Thruxton 01/May/2011
4 OultonPark 05/Jun/2011
5 Croft 19/Jun/2011
6 Snetterton 07/Aug/2011
7 Knockhill 04/Sep/2011
8 Rockingham 18/Sep/2011
9 Brands Hatch GP 02/Oct/2011
10 Silverstone 16/Oct/2011

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
1 Brands Hatch Indy 03/Apr/2011​
2 Donington Park 17/Apr/2011
3 Thruxton 01/May/2011
4 OultonPark 05/Jun/2011
5 Croft 19/Jun/2011
6 Snetterton 07/Aug/2011
7 Knockhill 04/Sep/2011
8 Rockingham 18/Sep/2011
9 Brands Hatch GP 02/Oct/2011
10 Silverstone 16/Oct/2011

thankyou sir, they only visit each place once now, they use to visit everywhere twice

R14 CUP
My old man works for Geoff Steel Racing. He is Workshop Manager back at the HQ. The driver is apparently very quick.

I'm gonna try and get to a few rounds this year too :)

Oil Burner
The trouble is that although they decided to let the older cars run this year (they weren't going to be previously) they have to carry extra ballast. So in effect any of the front half of the grid wouldn't consider them as they wont be competitive. This also means its more expensive for small competitive teams, having to buy fairly modern cars with a view to fitting NGTC engines in the next few years (by 2013 i think?). Hence why Techspeed have chosen to spend lots on buying the Chevrolets.

It's going to be a superb year, although no idea how the NGTC cars will get on this year. I suspect there will be a fairly significant divide in the grid, as the most developed NGTC car was only delivered to the team about 2 weeks ago.

The series has never been so strong in recent years, fingers crossed this might lead to a few new works teams. But we will see.

Bring on Brands in a few days time!

182 Cup
yeah i wanna see how well lewis hamiltons brother handles the clio cup, itd be interesting to see how its set up in the cockpit due to his cyreble paulsy( dunno how its spelt ) i.e. with hand controls or summat i spose.

Oil Burner
Well he binned it in practice at Rockingham, but to be fair i think i would if you basically stuck me straight into a Clio Cup Car. But i have alot of time for anyone that wants to overcome something like that, so good luck to him i say.

I will try and remember to take a photo of the inside of Nicks car.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
BTCC at oulton is sat and Sunday so I'm goin to oulton on sat and FCS on the Sunday, weekend of motors :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Superb.

Can't wait ! AndyRS = totally agree. Bring back Volvo estates taking off at dingle-dell. [Bring back dingle dell FFS :dapprove:]

I see Team Aeon regularly at work .. usually about 30 seconds into my weekly team meeting, making tremendous noises around the track. Impressed they're in a "new" Focus too, just in time for launch !

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Great to see Frank on the grid. Raced with him alot over the years in Gearbox Karts!

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
The trouble is that although they decided to let the older cars run this year (they weren't going to be previously) they have to carry extra ballast. So in effect any of the front half of the grid wouldn't consider them as they wont be competitive.

I guess they don't want to scare off the manufacturers - they'll not be sticking around if their brand new cars are getting beaten by an old shape Integra.

Good that they've got such a strong grid again though, will be interesting to see how the Audi gets on, they'll throw ballast at it if it's too quick.

Watch out for the round at Oulton, I was racing there last weekend and the new kerbs at the chicanes are huge, we had three rolls (including a Caterham!) - the marshals are all anticipating a busy weekend when the BTCC boys turn up!

182 Cup
nice im gonna have a nosy round his car at thruxton, there is a small pic of the inside in last weeks motorsport news but you cant really make anything out, its hard enough driving with hand controls on the road let alone flying round a track, fair play to him though, but hes only got the drive as his dad has paid for it, wish i had that kind of money!!