ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bucket seats question

vjs

Clio 172
I did try to fitt in the Civic TypeR seats into my 172 ph1 and just fucked up with all this...
Think I will go with the bucked seats. Question would be are there any special Clio ph1 brackets to fit in any bucket seat in or just some universal fittings?
Any useful info or link would be appreciated.

You'll need some seat subframes specific to a Clio floor plan.

There's a few off the shelf products like OMP etc. Or the proper weld in mounts which give you a bit more control over position. I can't remember the specific name of them though.

Another thing worth knowing is if your seats are base or side mounted?

Mine are base mounted and with my OMP subframes they sit more than low enough for me.

vjs

Clio 172
Yeah, I need them lower. I am 6'7" tall. Looking a bit funny in little car :)
Do I need to look for a taller bucket seats? :)

vjs

Clio 172
Another thing worth knowing is if your seats are base or side mounted?

Mine are base mounted and with my OMP subframes they sit more than low enough for me.

Did You mean side mounted = fitted into OEM Clio mount place? Base mounted = floor mounted?

Last edited:
I'm 6'2" and I have more than enough room. But for you I'd say it's worth going for the lowest subframes you can get just in case.

Height depends on the subframe, whether you have sliders or not, whether it's a base mounted or side mounted seat and the type of seat itself.

In my car I have OMP subframes then my seat bolts directly to them. I did have sliders originally but they made it too high so they're off now.

It now feels low enough for me for a good driving position.

Did You mean side mounted = fitted into OEM Clio mount place? Base mounted = floor mounted?

Base mounted means the seat is secured to the subframe from the underside. The subframe then bolts through the chassis to the underside of the car, like the original seats.

Side mounted means the seat is secured from fixings in the side (which are low down not half way up obviously). Side mounted seats also need side mounts which will then bolt to the subframe. Which then obviously bolts to the car as above.

Not sure if my terminology is exactly correct but you get the idea.

Do I need to by a brand named seats or some cheap ones will be OK?

That entirely depends how much you want to spend and what the car is going to be used for. If for racing you'll need a proper in date seat, if it's just for fun then you can put whatever you like in really, assuming it's all secured in place properly to be safe.

Last edited:
But yeah you got the idea. Before you edited it out ;)

Those OMP ones you linked are exactly what I've got. They do sit wonky but you just need to take out the original bump stops from under the original seats.

Where are you located? More than welcome to come and sit in my car for a feel of things if you're local.

vjs

Clio 172

Those OMP ones you linked are exactly what I've got. They do sit wonky but you just need to take out the original bump stops from under the original seats.

Where are you located? More than welcome to come and sit in my car for a feel of things if you're local.

Thanks Mate for an offer but I am non UK resident. I am located in Lithuania.

vjs

Clio 172

Thing is I binned the OEM seats as they where broken and curvy. What did You mean with the Original bump stops?

That seat looks far too uncomfortable for my liking. But I'm not sure what it's worth even if it is real carbon fibre.

Under the original seats there is a large washer type thing. It pops into the chassis holes and just pops out. This is what you'll need to remove to get the OMP subframes to sit flat.

If you just bolt them directly to the metal (car floor) then you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure there are no chunky washers in between the subframe and the floor.

vjs

Clio 172
I think I'll try to mount side mounts direct onto the original rails. If it's to high I will go with the cutting out the original rails out and fitting the side mounts direct onto the floor board.

Cup In bits
Its nothing to do with being high mate its just bloody dangerous doing that tbh and it will sit really stupid.

vjs

Clio 172
Did You mean fitting side mounts on direct on floor? I'll fit the side mounts to the rails at first maybe.

Cup In bits
No fitting them to the seat rails is IMO as there is no spreader plates, I know it won't pass an M.O.T test (uk road worthiness test)
There is nothing wrong with fitting them to the floor if you weld proper spreader plates like I posted in the pics.