ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buckets n Harnesses

1*2 Dynamic 03
Just fitted the new buckets n harnesses and had a few questions.....

Does anybody know what the hooks under the 2 front seats are for? I tested them out and they seem pretty strong, so i attatched my harnesses to them! Is this safe tho?

Ill be getting them back out to clean everything up and so i can add more mounting points for the harnesses in the next few weeks so if anybody wants pics i sould be able to post them.

Btw if your thinking of doing this to your car on your own....dont, invite a friend to help!

Ayway any help regarding the saftey of harnesses on those hooks would be apperciated!

Cheers guys

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Without meaning to sound harsh....but how exactly have you tested the 'hooks' - I bet you've attached the harnesses to them, given them a swift hard tug & gone....'yeah.....feels mint that'

Well unfortunately that really isnt good enough - standard seatbelt mounts are reinforced to take HUGE amounts of pressure to cope with the strains of accidents - theres absolutely no way you could replicate that with a hard pull - a 10ton hydraulic ram perhaps! LOL!

Try and attach them somewhere better - like for example where the standard seat belts mount - trust me, one day you might thank me for that!!!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
LOL the hooks are for a cargo net.

do not drive around with them like that.

lower outer mount can be attached the the round bolt with the torx bit holding the slider bar for the seatbelt

lower inner mount...attached the seat subframe

rear mounts to the plug part of the rear seatbelts attachemnet plate (18mm bolt)

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
LOL the hooks are for a cargo net.

do not drive around with them like that.

....APMSL....probably strong enough to hold his Christmas turkey & maybe at a push his Christmas pud at a time of an accident then!!!! :nono::nono:

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
I hear if you fit a rear strut brace you can attatch them to that?

Dont think I'd be doing that either if I'm honest....if you had a proper rollcage in there - especially a welded one then that would be ok!!

I gave it a tug though, seemed plenty strong.
Thats not a sagfe way of testing use a proper point or get a cage welded in. It need to take a good few tones of load when you have a crash so a hard tug ins't good enough You'll never say I'm right as if you ever have a crash and do chnage th point and your come away Ok then you won't say it was any point if you don't then you could be dead so won't be able to say maybe I should have changed.

R35 GTR
the decelerarion of going from say 100mph to 0mph when hitting a tree.....

Let's say the tree reaches the bulk head, so stopping in about 2 foot...

That will be 167g. Equivalent to suspending a 1670kg object from the seatbelt mounting points.

M2 Competition
I gave it a tug though, seemed plenty strong.
Thats not a sagfe way of testing use a proper point or get a cage welded in. It need to take a good few tones of load when you have a crash so a hard tug ins't good enough You'll never say I'm right as if you ever have a crash and do chnage th point and your come away Ok then you won't say it was any point if you don't then you could be dead so won't be able to say maybe I should have changed.

It was sarcasm, private joke between me and lee :rolleyes:

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
I'm thinking of extending my harnesses out the back end of the car by using a load of duck tape so I can attach them to the towing eye under the rear bumper.....reckon it'll work!!! :butt::butt:

M2 Competition
I'm thinking of extending my harnesses out the back end of the car by using a load of duck tape so I can attach them to the towing eye under the rear bumper.....reckon it'll work!!! :butt::butt:

Give it a tug, see how strong it is?

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Before or after a bowl of Weetabix?? I wouldn't want to tug it too hard - might spoil my handiwork!!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Exactly.....expensive b*****d stuff is duck tape - cant afford to waste it!!!

My 2nd idea was to get my nan to get her knitting needles on the go & extend em that way!!??

It was sarcasm, private joke between me and lee :rolleyes:
Arr rigth sorry didn't read the thread well enough some people would do this though so had to make sure noone took it seriously.

1*2 Dynamic 03
Some of that helped....a little more than other bits (you know who you are!) but thanks, seats will be out on sat and the mountswill be getting welded onto the original seat frame, was thinking of the rear seat belts but didnt kno if id need an adaptor for it or just bolt them on??

the decelerarion of going from say 100mph to 0mph when hitting a tree.....

Let's say the tree reaches the bulk head, so stopping in about 2 foot...

That will be 167g. Equivalent to suspending a 1670kg object from the seatbelt mounting points.

100 to nothing in 2 feet won't happen the car won't stop that much energy you'd be cushed in the car.

For 167g to give a load of 1670KG you'd have to be taking about a load of 10kg the belt has to hold a lot more than that.

20G is a good minimum to aim at and to be safe assume half the weight on the straps of the driver so a 200lb driver your looking at 1 ton absolute mimimum load ie you could lift the car with the point.

Best off aim for near 5 tones though IMO for strenght.