ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Budget tyres for the back?

Dynamique+ 1.4
Would it be ok for me to put 2 odd budget tyres on the back of my clio with 16" sport alloys, ive already got one thats the right size and literally brand new, just need it to be fitted but should i get a matching pair for £80 or so or just get another and fit it for £40. Dont really want to spend OTT amounts on tyres as the car isnt exactly fast. Ive got a pair of matching michelins for the front so theres no need to worry there!

Dynamique+ 1.4
thing is ive got 4 odd tyres on it at the moment and it handles fine its never spun out, havent exactly gone easy on it as some points either!

BMW M135i
Good/ok tyres on the front + shite ones on the back = sidewards, lots. Been there, done it, great laugh for a few days (when you expect it) but not a good idea on the wholeshot, especially in winter.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
tbh, i can't understand why people skimp out on tyres?? They're the single and most important thing that keeps you in contact with the road!!

Dynamique+ 1.4
But im just asking for advice? not how i should spend all my cash on expensive tyres when i dont own a fast car or attempt to take every corner fast?

CS Dungeon
But im just asking for advice? not how i should spend all my cash on expensive tyres when i dont own a fast car or attempt to take every corner fast?

Thats what you are getting:)

What size wheels are you running? I only paid £30ish for 15" Eagle F1's from mytyres

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Tyres are the most important part of a car providing its running so why skimp with poo tyres, always a matching pair per axle

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
tbh, i can't understand why people skimp out on tyres?? They're the single and most important thing that keeps you in contact with the road!!

Well said ;)

Funny how they always have money for chrome tax disc holders etc etc :S

Dynamique+ 1.4
Well im sorted now got another decent one, ive been running my clio with all different tyres for 4 months and its been fine :)

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
to sacrifice on tyres is as sensible as taking off your disk brakes to put drum brakes on, then disconnecting the servo......

Agree with above advice. A twitchy rear end is fun when you are expecting it, but spinning in the car's own length on a greasy country lane for no apparent reason is not! (knackered rear tyres)

Dynamique+ 1.4
the rear tyres arnt knackered though and ive never spun the car on a country lane and i dont always go easy down them!

Dynamique+ 1.4
Ive got everything sorted now, been told by a ATS that i should have a decent set on the front as the cars front wheel drive and thats what other people have said, and the chap at ATS wasnt trying to flog me anything as i went there for advice and a quote.

Ive got everything sorted now, been told by a ATS that i should have a decent set on the front as the cars front wheel drive and thats what other people have said, and the chap at ATS wasnt trying to flog me anything as i went there for advice and a quote.
Ignore that bloke.

What Rich said & others is correct.

What size are they anyway ??

M2 Competition
Lol at this thread.

Listen to the advice of those that do lots of driving, and trackdays, not some chap from ats that knows how to put tyres on for minimum wage...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
90% of drivers would never notice if they had four very different tyres on their car. I have to admit myself that twice I've failed to notice flat rear tyres, including once driving 20 kms, including around a couple of roundabouts, and only realising a rear tyre was dead-flat because of the odd noise echoing back off a brick wall beside the road.

But if you're one of the other 10% who pushes the limit you want the good tyres on the rear. Putting good tyres on the front and crap tyres on the rear means that right up to the handling limit it feels good, then you lose it suddenly and completely. Putting the good tyes on the front may make the handling seem better because you'll get less understeer, but at the limit it'll be dangerous.

So the question is: how close to the limit do you think you'll ever get?

106 GTi
Not sure about that !

All the above is well and good until you encounter a greasy roundabout or wet manhole cover mid corner where on s**t tyres oversteer will occur at very low speeds not close to the limit at all.

Always amuses me when people justify not spending money on decent tyres with the statement "it's only a 1.2" or "it's not a fast car" 70mph is 70mph whether you are in an Enzo or a 1.2 clio and crap tyres will make it alot harder to slow the car down quickly. The same goes for cornering, crap tyres make it alot more likely the car will get out of shape if you find a greasy patch or are carrying too much speed.

Clio 172 phase 2 cup
In the cold wet weather in wales you definately dont want cheap tyres at this time of year especially. Leaves on the road all sorts you will need every little bit of grip :)

Clio 172, 2001
I'm with Loony ^ . It's rare to find a car that can't do 70 on the motorway, no matter how slowly it gets there. How would you feel if you couldn't stop when you needed to, and accidentally injured someone?

Get yourself some new Michelins all round, and change them at 3mm.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
i'm sorry but i'm going to disagree with a few people. Having better grip on the back is only better if you don't have high car control.

A front wheel drive car has steering, braking and acceleration all through the front wheels - with lower grip on the front compared to the rears it's a hell of a lot harder to control the car.

In a rear drive car then the grip should be spread between rear and front but in a front driver then i'd always put newer tyre on the front or a softer compound.

You loose the back end in a fwd car and you can correct it with the steering and accelrator - with no grip to counter that i.e. with older or balder tyres, you can't so it's going to be in the wall or hedge.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Would it be ok for me to put 2 odd budget tyres on the back of my clio with 16" sport alloys, ive already got one thats the right size and literally brand new, just need it to be fitted but should i get a matching pair for £80 or so or just get another and fit it for £40. Dont really want to spend OTT amounts on tyres as the car isnt exactly fast. Ive got a pair of matching michelins for the front so theres no need to worry there!

Don't worry about it mate!

Winter's here so everyone drives slower anyway, budget tyres all round I say!

Dynamique+ 1.4
Gah the tyre i got off me mate is punctured, can apparantly be plugged though so im gunna go see about that!

FOR SALE!!!
Gah the tyre i got off me mate is punctured, can apparantly be plugged though so im gunna go see about that!

do you like your car? the amount you spending on all these diffent tiers of people you could of got ya self some alright tiers and be safe in knowing if your car need the grip to brake hard out if you miss judge the conor you will get round it as every body has said its the only thing between you and the road

i'm sorry but i'm going to disagree with a few people. Having better grip on the back is only better if you don't have high car control.

A front wheel drive car has steering, braking and acceleration all through the front wheels - with lower grip on the front compared to the rears it's a hell of a lot harder to control the car.

You loose the back end in a fwd car and you can correct it with the steering and accelrator - with no grip to counter that i.e. with older or balder tyres, you can't so it's going to be in the wall or hedge.

That's the whole point though, the school of thinking on best grip on the back is you shouldn't be able to push hard enough to get the back end to break out. The front end will have a tendancy to lose grip first which for most poor/average drivers is alot easier to correct than a highly mobile rear end that steps out with little or no warning when pushed too hard. If they are finding the car has a tendancy to understeer chances are they arent going to push as hard, whereas if they have no sign that the level of grip is dropping off then the first they'll know about it is when the back end tries to overtake them.

182cup & 172 racecar
I think young man you are taking the p-ss,just listen to what everybody has told you.And now your saying that the rubbish tyre has got a hole in it!! If you like eating your food through a straw then thats fine,just dont take anybody else with you

Dynamique+ 1.4
Right i have two literally new michelin pilots on 2 of me wheels, a new tyre on one and another very good condition one (but thats punctured) in all ive spent £195 on a decent set of clio sport 172 wheels with tyres.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274

That's the whole point though, the school of thinking on best grip on the back is you shouldn't be able to push hard enough to get the back end to break out. The front end will have a tendancy to lose grip first which for most poor/average drivers is alot easier to correct than a highly mobile rear end that steps out with little or no warning when pushed too hard. If they are finding the car has a tendancy to understeer chances are they arent going to push as hard, whereas if they have no sign that the level of grip is dropping off then the first they'll know about it is when the back end tries to overtake them.

That's a fair comment, using the lower grip levels to slow you down but i'd still prefer to be hanging the back out - i think i'm just used to it from driving many 000's of miles in rwd cars.

Dynamique+ 1.4
Im buying 2 brand new tyres the other one has a hole in the sidewall, not my day today plus u lot changed my mind anyway. The other tyres goin back 2 me mate