ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burning electrical smell, car cut out momentarily

Clio Sport 182
As the title states, this happened today. Earlier in the day I had the emmisions light come on, which cleared when I pulled over and waited 30 seconds, then not long after I got the brakes and STOP light come on. This cleared and then later in the day on another run out, I had a momentary instantaneous cut out, engine died, lights went off, then car picked up again but the STOP light and the BATT light stayed on. There was a strong smell of electrical burning in the car. I drove the car the short distance home ok. Anyone experienced similar or any idea where to start looking?
cheers

Clio Sport 182
So, had a look at the car this morning, alternator not providing any charge to the battery. Alternator smells! So new alternator required. No idea where i'm going to get one of those in a hurry, or how i'll manage to fit it. :-(

Clio Sport 182
I was awake in the night thinking it could be burnt out wiring under the dash or something. Anyway, anyone know where to get an alternator quick, and reasonably cheaply?