ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a high mileage 182?

I'm going to have a look at a clio 182 for sale near me. From the advert it looks in good condition and seems to have a detailed maintenance history with the dephaser/cambelt done a year ago.
It has 150k miles. This seems pretty high (and at advert price £2,900 it defo seems overpriced to me; although I know clio values have been rising over past couple of years). Should I be concerned about this sort of mileage? What important things are there to check other than the dephaser and regular servicing?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
just thoroughly check it over for oil leaks, clutch slip, any nasty gearbox noises etc etc and if service history stacks up and looks well loved do a buy.

definitely condition over miles. Mines on 222k now and drives lovely still as I look after it.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
As above - Condition > Miles

Buy one for £1500 that needs belts, and it probably needs tyres and brakes soon, and then the bushes are all shot, and you're heading for £2900 anyway.

Link to ad ?!

Might have been on here before - someone might know something about it.

Mine's on 140k and feels good for 140k more. As long as the maintenance and condition check out, mileage means nothing. Just don't expect it to gain much value in future years.

£2,900 doesn't seem unreasonable if the car needs little to no work.

Buy on condition not mileage. I'm doing 10k a year in mine without even trying so I wouldn't say that's a high mileage car really. Maybe a bit high on the price as is so probably priced with a bit of barter included.
Yeah, I know 150k in general is not crazy for a 15 year old car. I have bought a car on 170k miles and it was fantastic. But I just want to be wary of any issues.

As above - Condition > Miles

Buy one for £1500 that needs belts, and it probably needs tyres and brakes soon, and then the bushes are all shot, and you're heading for £2900 anyway.

Link to ad ?!

Might have been on here before - someone might know something about it.
Well exactly, I'd rather spend say £2500 on one which I know is in great shape, rather than one for less but with unknown dephaser etc (not sure if there are other major costs than this?)

Ad is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-182/353379233042

just thoroughly check it over for oil leaks, clutch slip, any nasty gearbox noises etc etc and if service history stacks up and looks well loved do a buy.

definitely condition over miles. Mines on 222k now and drives lovely still as I look after it.
That is pretty good to know you've done 220k!

Thanks for the advice.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It looks tidy enough and the ad isn't written by a complete imbecile for a change. It reads like he's not had it very long though 🤔.

I'd ask for some underbonnet and interior pics. MoT history checks out. Assuming the car is as described it's worth £2,9k, but the seller is evidently open to a cheeky offer as well.

It looks tidy enough and the ad isn't written by a complete imbecile for a change. It reads like he's not had it very long though 🤔.
Yeah that is also the impression I get.

I'd ask for some underbonnet and interior pics. MoT history checks out. Assuming the car is as described it's worth £2,9k, but the seller is evidently open to a cheeky offer as well.
Not sure why those pics aren't on there but car is only located a few miles down the road from me so easier for me to just go and look at it.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
My old 172 was on 137k, my new one is on 116k but the higher mileage one drove much nicer. My ‘new’ one also has oil leaks from engine and gearbox and my old one was dry. I can’t even tell you how nice my prev car drove and it was standard. If you drive the two back to back you’d swear the prev one had 50k if the newer one was indicative of having 116k.

I looked at a 182 with 68k the other day and I was virtually telling my mate to buy it blind due to the mileage and desirable colour... it was rough, badly repainted (paint all over the rubbers, over spray and signs of crash repair, silver bumper not even keyed up repainted blue with paint falling off)

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I saw that listing earlier, I thought like others had said the car ‘on the face of it’ looked priced well enough and a decent condition. Lacks pics of under the bonnet and interior. But it’s a million times better than the usual s**t floating around on eBay and tossbook. Noticed a lovely flamer as well earlier.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd offer £2500 with the aim to meet somewhere in the middle. I'd also want to see some interior pics especially of the drivers seat, the bolsters can wear quite badly.

My old 172 was on 137k, my new one is on 116k but the higher mileage one drove much nicer. My ‘new’ one also has oil leaks from engine and gearbox and my old one was dry. I can’t even tell you how nice my prev car drove and it was standard. If you drive the two back to back you’d swear the prev one had 50k if the newer one was indicative of having 116k.

I looked at a 182 with 68k the other day and I was virtually telling my mate to buy it blind due to the mileage and desirable colour... it was rough, badly repainted (paint all over the rubbers, over spray and signs of crash repair, silver bumper not even keyed up repainted blue with paint falling off)
Yeah, I totally understand that mileage isn't the same as condition.

I saw that listing earlier, I thought like others had said the car ‘on the face of it’ looked priced well enough and a decent condition. Lacks pics of under the bonnet and interior. But it’s a million times better than the usual s**t floating around on eBay and tossbook. Noticed a lovely flamer as well earlier.
What do you mean by a "flamer"... ?

I'd offer £2500 with the aim to meet somewhere in the middle. I'd also want to see some interior pics especially of the drivers seat, the bolsters can wear quite badly.
Thats my intention, I dont think i would be happy to pay £2900 for a 150k miles clio. But will have a look at the car and see what its like.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Mines on 132k miles now. Most of it is less than a year old though.:)
Condition and history are everything on these. Miles only matter if you're putting it in a bubble to appreciate.

Thanks for the answers. The one i was looking at has been snapped up already now though.

Looking at a different one tomorrow which only has 80k miles anyway so I guess this thread is irrelevant