ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a plate from the DVLA

If you go to a dvla office that does it there & then you have 24 hours to get the new plates on the car.

If you just buy a reg plate from them & don't want to put it on the car yet you have a year, after that you'll need to pay a £25 retention fee (per year) if you don't pay the retention fee, you'll lose it.

All plates direct from them include, the transfer fee (£80) & retention for a year (£25)

Doesn't matter what plate you're buying, on a personal experience I've never ever buying a private plate again!

Too much paperwork to sort out V5, insurance docs etc etc then £25 admin fee to insurance to change over... then if you change your car, more admin fees, if you put it on rentention £105 (I think) for the first 12 months then £25 (I think) every year after..... then if you come to sell it, paperwork is a nightmare.

Was thinking maybe it's just me and private plates don't get on lol, but my gf has had the same problem. Maybe it's just us!? lol

But don't let me put you off mate lol

lol, well the new plate is going straight on my new car, which is why i wanted to know how long I have after purchase to register it on the car. Will be keeping the new car for a long time so dont really need to worry about the change over etc.

oh and for the record, plate is going to be R111 SWT

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
And what does R111 SWT say / mean?

Means nothing to a passer by, just like any other reg. A waste of £250, give the money to me for a new exhaust instead! :)

You say you are keeping the car for a long time, what if you stack it? Then you have to pay to transfer the reg or put it on retention.

Plate means something to me, SWT are my initials. Dont really give a s**t if passer by doesnt know that.

Your right I could stack it, but thats an if but or maybe that doesnt really come into it imo

Doesn't matter what plate you're buying, on a personal experience I've never ever buying a private plate again!

Too much paperwork to sort out V5, insurance docs etc etc then £25 admin fee to insurance to change over... then if you change your car, more admin fees, if you put it on rentention £105 (I think) for the first 12 months then £25 (I think) every year after..... then if you come to sell it, paperwork is a nightmare.

Was thinking maybe it's just me and private plates don't get on lol, but my gf has had the same problem. Maybe it's just us!? lol

But don't let me put you off mate lol
It's not even difficult to do ! Retention is £25 a year like I said. I also said that if he gets if from the dvla al will include all the fees.

The only bit I do agree with is coming to sell the car, but tbh anyone selling would just get the plate off of the car beforehand.

Understand whats being said about selling the car, but that should never become an issue due to my plans for the car etc.

Was thinking that, ohwell, plates are a bit marmite I guess
Dude it means something to you, go for it :)
Your lucky your initals aren't costly like mine are (cat) plates with that on are expensive ! (I have one though)

Was looking at ones that said STU to start with but no way I would pay that money for them, lol. The way R111 SWT looks on a plate is mint imo.

Go for it, it's something that will be with you forever.

The process for taking the plate off a car is a pain (i've just sold my car, and had to take the plate off) You have to go to the DVLA office to sign a document, and hand over your log book and MOT certificate. Then they reprint your tax disc, MOT certificate and Log book and send it to you within 8weeks (which was a pain when trying to sell the car, as can't without a log book) luckily, i got my documents through within 2weeks. £105 to take it off the car (this includes the fee to apply it to another car, and £25 to keep it off the car for a year)

Good luck! :)

Thanks mate. If all goes to plan, which lets be honest, very long term plans never do, it will never come off the car :)

Trophy 265/500
Why the horror with DVLA? Between me and the missus we've done four in the last few years with no dramas at all.

I've always fancied getting a private plate - but what's always put me off is the pratting about when you have to transfer the plate.