ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying Games...

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
When you see a game you like, do you automatically buy it based on how it looks on the back of the box, or would you never purchase it unless you'd seen how it had scored in reviews?

I think I've always been a believer in only buying games that have had good reviews. I used to buy C&VG, Mean Machines and all those other magazines to read up on what games were coming out and how the latest releases had scored.

My mate, on the other hand, just goes into the shop and buys whatever he thinks looks good. He'll play them until he finishes them, in fairness, but some of them are real stinkers and a complete waste of money. I guess it's all down to personal taste, as you may not think the same as the magazines, anyway.

But for me, I like to know a game has had a few decent reviews before I'll buy it - and anything less than 80% average is usually a no go. Really pleased with the Forza reviews, so far - and pleasantly surprised.

Revels Mum & Sister
I don't do that! I have a look and see what is about and choose what interests me. I do not pay much attention to reviews to be fair. There is too much dollar under the desk for scores shizzle.

For instance Batman EVERYONE raved about it on here so I bought it. Never read a review and it was ace.

There have been a lot of games that are not received well with the press/industury but are little gems. Also there are games which are awesome which in my eyes are just shite like FIFA and PES!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
i do that, usually i know what a games gonna be like so i just purches it but some times i listen to reviews and avoid like the plague. Only time ive ever done things differently before buying a game was when i rented Fallout3. Rented it for a week didnt stop playing it, took it back to blockbuster and then promtly went a bought a second hand (mint) copy for £22

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Batman was so good, but I was constantly on Gamereviews.com hoping it didn't get any bad reviews. LOL. As for Fifa and PES being poor, potty mouth ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Full priced games I need to read reviews on

I'm a bit of a ***** for Gamestations pre-owned section, I'll buy anything I like the look of from there

E87 118d M Sport
get all my info from avforum tbh. pretty much every game going has a preview thread and then a play/help thread. i let people on there do my leg work. if there are good reveiws and vids as links, ill take a look and give some more research a shot.

obviously as far as games like uncharted 2, modern warfare 2 etc they are a given that they will be EPIC so the reviews and vids etc are just so i can keep the anticipation controlled lol.

battlefield 1943 i bought after reading the avf thread. prob the best £10 ive ever spent (on its own) for a game!!!!!!!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Defo needs to have a good review, but Forza 3 and COD MW2 will be bought anyway.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Going in a shop to buy a game? How old fashioned! I just wait for any games I like the sound of to appear on HotUKDeals... this is why I rarely pay over £20 for a game :rasp:

A4 Avant
I'll have a look for info about the game on t'net first. Don't think i've ever bought a game in store on impulse because the box was pretty.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I dont bother with reviews or reading mags or even looking at the back of the box, if it looks good gameplay, graphics or whatever i'll buy it

Motorbikes
I'll buy anything I think looks good tbh. If I dont like it I'll trade it in.

As said, whether you think a game is good or not is your opinion. Just because some crappy magazine doesnt like it doesnt mean you wont.

Revels Mum & Sister
Batman was so good, but I was constantly on Gamereviews.com hoping it didn't get any bad reviews. LOL. As for Fifa and PES being poor, potty mouth ;)

But that is my point. I do not enjoy football games therefore to me they are crap...

Citroen DS3 DSport
I always check reviews and online gossip before I buy any game, I'd never buy on the strength of the box promotional info.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It varies a LOT with me. I tend to passively look at reviews of games online, but only as a general indicator of how good or bad it is. Mainly I go down the demo route - downloading new releases that I think sound or look interesting and then give them a whirl. Quite often I will then make a buying decision within a few minutes on whether or not to buy the full game.

Other ones I just buy - the instant I see it, purely based on the previous games within the series. If GTR3, or a follow-up to Company of Heroes were released tomorrow for example, I'd just buy without even checking the box! That's rarely caught me out - but I have to admit it has once or twice in the past!

Perhaps the last way I buy them is to keep an eye on the pricing on sites like Play or Amazon for games I'm interested in. I downloaded the demo for Battlestations Pacific and liked it a lot. Not quite enough to pay full whack for it, but I kept checking on Play every two or three weeks and sure enough, it dropped to £9.99. So I bought it there and then.

D.

F82 M4
I do like to read the reviews etc. There's a few games I will buy without reading the reviews.

I will buy Bioshock 2 on the day of release without reading the review for example.

172 Cup
The only game I ever bought on a whim while in a shop one day turned out to be my favourite game of all time - Battlefield 1942.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Dont really mess with reviews etc,

I basicly go in and have a look whats there, i either tell myself i want a racing/adventure/Fps/sport game and go from there, narrowing down each game as i scroll the back of them. I generally ask when im at the till whats good etc and theyl give me honest opinions sorted :)

but stuff like: Uncharted/Gran Turismo/COD/F1 games then i dont bother and just buy :)

MK5 R32
I usually go by reviews, if im unsure about a game i will try and borrow it off someone for a few days before buying it. However I buy games like Fifa, COD, Forza etc without reading the reviews. And i will be getting unchartered 2 due to the reviews and videos :)

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't do that! I have a look and see what is about and choose what interests me. I do not pay much attention to reviews to be fair. There is too much dollar under the desk for scores shizzle.

For instance Batman EVERYONE raved about it on here so I bought it. Never read a review and it was ace.

There have been a lot of games that are not received well with the press/industury but are little gems. Also there are games which are awesome which in my eyes are just s**te like FIFA and PES!

Completely agree about peer reviews, if one of my mates has a game which they rate. These days with Live sometimes get the same game just for the online multiplayer and co-op.

Demos are also a good thing for sure!

I do listen to reviews in general though, never really buy a game which gets a low score on metacritic or something. Also read IGN and the Gamececentral reviews, Gamecentral especially always give honest and non-reactionary views.

DCi
i generally know what i like but if i fancy a game and everyone is saying it's shite online ill make sure i try a demo first

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't bother with reviews very often tend to buy what I like and whatever seems popular on here. I'm really bad when it comes to buying games as I've got three on my shelf that I haven't even touched yet :eek:

Talking about reviews does anyone on here read GameCentral on teletext?

Clio 182
I don't bother with reviews very often tend to buy what I like and whatever seems popular on here. I'm really bad when it comes to buying games as I've got three on my shelf that I haven't even touched yet :eek:

teletext wtf? lol

Personally i read a few reviews but not the ones written by big websites usually just gamer comments and stuff like that.

H.Maxim

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FF

Lol i did, on channel 4?