ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAM Belt snapped on my 172?

Clio Sport 172
Hi guys,

Bought my 2002 172 with 38K on the clock about 3 weeks ago and last night, I was driving round a roundabout doing about 30 in 3rd gear, and then I lost power, promptly pulled over and the engine had stopped. No warning lights or anything came one. I tried turning over the engine and you can hear the starter motor whirring but that is all, no engine turing over.

Got the good old AA out and he said the cam belt has gone (didn't check) but just wondered what everyone else thought? I've been having a small problem recently where when turning the key, the engine turns over but doesn't start. I can try again straight after and it will start but always a bit strange! Wondered if this has anything to do with?

Also, what's the easiest way to check the status of the cam belt?

All comments much appreciated.

Cheers.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
cambelt should be changed every 72k or every 5 years whichever comes first. In my experience i would fit one every 50k or 3 years. To quickly check, support the o/s undersection of the engine and take the o/s engine mount off - you will see the cam pulleys quite easily and then just tug on the belt.....if its snapped it will be loose. You will struggle finding a second hand head - complete engines are more common and are quicker to fit than repairing the head.

172 MKII FF
I've just had mine replaced at RS - Tuning. Can cambelts just go does it take years for them to go? What im trying to get at it can a new one just pop as well?

Clio Sport 172
Never heard any bangs/snaps/grinding noises or similar when it happened, and when I turned the key straight after U just heard the starter motor whirring.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
PM matt as above, if your younger than 16 (or you know anyone that is) sort him out some pics of them with older men. then n he will sort you an engine!

Clio Sport 172
PM matt as above, if your younger than 16 (or you know anyone that is) sort him out some pics of them with older men. then n he will sort you an engine!

haha that made me laugh.

Well got my dad (ex mechanic for 40 years - always good!) to look at it today so we will see what we got.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Thats right - Pictures of Ben with his "Uncle" ;) were given to me by another member and ever since then Ben has recieved special discount for all the parts on his supercharged conversion. Ben is doing a "forced induction" conversion and will tell you all about the "Forced induction" experiences he recieved as a young boy ( you remember those footsteps coming up the stairs when you was 11 towards your bedroom dont you Ben )

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
The starting problem sounds like the TDC sensor. The main problem now sounds like the cambelt

Black Gold with cup packs
I think the key issue may be because you are turning it over too quickly!
Mine has done this before now I just turn it just before ignition, wait for all the lights to come on, then turn the ignition on.
It starts first time evertime then

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
He just said he has no cambelt.

Im booking mine in now - should have ignored this post!

ex Clio 172 owner :(
The starting problem is quite common.
Have a read of this thread.

That's obviously the least of your problems though.

I'm on 44k and 44 months old. I'm going to get mine done on the 48k service. Hopefully it'll be ok until then.

172 MKII FF
I am on 73k and mines 5 years old in Decemeber.

Will it last til September 1st, which is when its being serviced....:eek:

time bomb!!!

I bought a 172 second hand and knew nothing about the cambelt recommendations and I was on 5 years and 48k. As soon as I heard this and the repercussions, I got it in within a couple of week and had it done.

No chance was I risking the effects.

clio 172 cup
Well we've just had a look and no cam belt left at all... :(

You must like living dangerously!

My cambelt snapped on my 2003 172 cup earlier this year a week before it's second service, it had only done 23000 miles. It was only a few months out of warrenty and given the low mileage Renault contributed 70% towards the repair work. Still cost £750 though *%/$&*$ :mad:

[This is my first post here, am I allowed to swear on this forum?]

172 MKII FF

You must like living dangerously!

My cambelt snapped on my 2003 172 cup earlier this year a week before it's second service, it had only done 23000 miles. It was only a few months out of warrenty and given the low mileage Renault contributed 70% towards the repair work. Still cost £750 though *%/$&*$ :mad:

[This is my first post here, am I allowed to swear on this forum?]

F**k - was that with Renault? I thought Cup cambelts where easier to work on? Saying that it would also be the damage that was caused.

Last edited:
  clio 172 cup
Yep Renault. They ended up replacing bits rather than repairing but I made sure that the price didn't go up further.

The starting problem is quite common.
Have a read of this thread.

That's obviously the least of your problems though.

I'm on 44k and 44 months old. I'm going to get mine done on the 48k service. Hopefully it'll be ok until then.

Eh? Don't you think his starting problem may have had something to do with the cam belt getting ready to kick the bucket?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe a daft question (and slightly off topic!) - but how come cambelts are made of what they are? Surely heavy-duty, purpose-built chains would be far better - assuming the noise wasn't a problem?

D.

Ph1
Reading his posts it sounds as though its his Auxilary belt thats snapped not his cam belt.

You cant see a cambelt unless you take the top mount off so how would he no its not there ;)

maybe?? lol