ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAM Belt Warning To ALL!

1.2 16v Dynamique.
^ 72k....

no point in comparing prices with 1.2s lol cambelts are very different on the 2.016v

Im not comparing the two. Both Renault and my local accessory shop wanted £100, more than double the price of buypartsby. Maybe you 172/182 owners can get the same sort of saving?

When you order a cambelt kit from renault, what is included in the kit?? obviously the cambelt, but what else do you get??

1. Cambelt Kit
2. AUX belt (is there a tensioner for this??, or is this all i need?)
3. Water Pump (I've heard people say its worth changing while this job is being done??)

I think thats it, also does any one have the part numbers??
Part numbers have been posted by gr7 a while back.

The cambelt kit contains the belts and the tensioners.
You need the aux belt as well that a seperate part
Water pump hum its a risk don't chnage it and it might leak/fail if not it might last forever.
You also need the cam end seals there only cheap though.
buypartsby.co.uk have a contitech (made by Continental) timing belt kit for my 2001 1.2 16v. for £41 plus vat. Cheap as chips
You need the tensioners as well make sure you chnage them as they fail. There a few places sell just the belt.
Im not comparing the two. Both Renault and my local accessory shop wanted £100, more than double the price of buypartsby. Maybe you 172/182 owners can get the same sort of saving?
Maybe the belt kits don't have the same stuff in them. I can get 1.2 and 1.5 dci cambelts for £12 but there nothing else with them and I woulnd't trust them.
£140 the cambelt for the 172/182 is which is good value IMO.

Megane 2 GT 165
I had my CAM belt changed at the same time as my AUX belt. @ 60.000km (36.000m). as it wasn't that much more expensive and else it needed replacement a year after.

Better take care of your car if you love it ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS
the cam belt kits @ Renault are not that badly priced, sometimes they are cheaper than none genuine, its not unknown, plus you know your getting a quality kit rather than a cheapo one that might fail early

RS RIP
I think you were unlucky and some people on here are being unfair. 43k and 4 1/2 years is well within the guide. I changed mine at 4 1/2 years and 75k

I was showed the guide, 4 years it said. I think they might have changed it due to many snapping before the five years (within km limit then)

Clio_Smart
If you say to the garage can you change the cambelt does that mean the whole set up for it ?

I just had a service and also got a new cambelt should i of said anything else ?

Am i in danger if i have only a new cambelt ?

Monblue bombay badboy!
mine had cambelt done at 32k and just been in for 72k service and asked them to change the aux belt they said not to bother unless doing the cambelt aswell and he said it is in good condition anyway but concidering getting it done now:)

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Part numbers have been posted by gr7 a while back.

The cambelt kit contains the belts and the tensioners.
You need the aux belt as well that a seperate part
Water pump hum its a risk don't chnage it and it might leak/fail if not it might last forever.
You also need the cam end seals there only cheap though.
buypartsby.co.uk have a contitech (made by Continental) timing belt kit for my 2001 1.2 16v. for £41 plus vat. Cheap as chips
You need the tensioners as well make sure you chnage them as they fail. There a few places sell just the belt.
Maybe the belt kits don't have the same stuff in them. I can get 1.2 and 1.5 dci cambelts for £12 but there nothing else with them and I woulnd't trust them.
£140 the cambelt for the 172/182 is which is good value IMO.

The KIT has both the belt and tensioner!

Dci 100
I had the whole kit, belt and tensioners, but i had it done at rentech for £460 all in, which is a big chunk of the renualt price, went up to leeds to get it done, good customer service too, friendly and close to the town centre, so there was no problem finding something to do all day

also runs nicer now the belt and tensioners are changed, smoother than before

Monblue bombay badboy!
there is a brand new belt and tensioners kit for sale on flea bay for £60 is that good?

Think I paid around £300 for cambelt and waterpump on the 1.2, that was around about 50k but it was 5yrs old. Having said that though you can get a 1.2 16v engine and box off ebay for £100! I should have just nitroused up the old one and hoped for the best!

172 Race Car
I did my '02' 172 shortly after i bought it in may on 49k, the trader i bought it from was very blasay (sp) about it saying something like ''i wouldnt do it at 5 years, id wait till 72k'' well for the milage i do that could be another 5 years. I didnt take his advice! I changed the cambelt and tensioners and Auxbelt and tensioners. persolnaly id recommend never changing the aux belt without the tensioner, the kit is £20 more than buying the belt on its own and the amount of failed aux belt puleys i see on cars at work nowdays is staggering.

I will change it all again in 3 years time, regardless of millage. of course being able to do the job yourself in my case makes a huge difference.