ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam Timing

Recently my 172 cup cam belt plastic guide destroyed itself, resulting in bent valves, I have had head done all new vales and gaskets and boltes etc £280. But the inlet cam gear is a weird one it has a timing mark on it but there isnt any apparent marks on tha cam cover to align it with?? Do I need to follow any particular instructions when timing the cams , if so can anyone email me with some good tech info.

Cheers

Dave

Dodgy one
Theres two oil seals you need to pop out to find the timing holes, Pin them like you would a normnal car (although apparantly theres some special tools for this engine ?????) and then replace the seals with new ones once you've timed it up

There is a selection of special tools needed and i would not even attempt the job without a complete understanding of the job at hand and the tools. Get hold of the manual and have a read.

http://www.angel-works.co.uk/articles/f4rbuild.php

Those are the tools needed and a brief guide.

Its not a hard job, but easy to screw up, as evident from the number of botched jobs i spend my time fixing.

Clio Sport 182
where can you get the pulley double locking tool from ? as seen in your guide mate

Clio Sport 182
i rung them asking about the tools but they said they cant supply them do you no the part no for it ?? cheers for the info by the way

Clio Sport 182
right great !! just talkin to burp as well he's giving me info i don't need pulley lockin tool unless im takin the pulleys or cams out, i only want to do the belt so just need the timing kit.....

Clio Sport 182
ok will go into renault tommoro with the part numbers and price the pulley locking kit up then !!!

Clio Sport 182
CWB1_77thumb.gif
so this is the mot 1509 ? whats the mot 1509-1 ?

its some spacers and longer locking gear due to the vvt pulley being bigger than the non vvt pulleys.