ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt change

Nissan Jewk

My 172 is on 56k mileage and is now 5 years old. A service is currently due and Im thinking may as well get the cambelt changed too. What kind of money would I be looking at for the cambelt change? Cheers!

I was quoted 750 from Renault Manchester just for the cambelt change. Strange how they quote differently isnt it! Thats 220 more than 172rob paid at Renault Manchester.

Im having it done today at lookers renault as part of the five year service (its done 60,000). So as well as the usual service stuff this includes changing the brake fluid and coolant as well.

Total cost £670. Ouch! especially when my t350c cost me 300 quid yesterday!

Rob.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower

where are you mike ? a mate of mine who owns a workshop can do it. cost me £380 which included fitting a new water pump as mine was packing up.

he is in Northants.

Nissan Jewk

Im in north london, got a mate whos brother owns a garage, gonna see if he can sort me out!

172beast

I paid 300 squid at a independent garage complete with 1 year warrenty, took all day tho, didnt get it back till 6pm and dropped it off at 8am, big job apparently!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower

u need a locking kit for the cams etc.

do not attempt it without these kits ! the crank pulley does not locate using a woodruff key you must use the kit from Renault otherwise you wont be able to time it ! best advice is to take to somebody who has done them before (2.0 megane is the same procedure i believe). the job is rated at 5.5 hrs.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

ClarkieV6 posted something on this topic recently, as a garage owner he knows the facts I reckon. I seem to remember it was aroung the 300 quid price including the pulley kit. Dont go to Reno!

Well finally got through to lookers stockport after 90 mins of trying only to find out that the auxillary belt tensioner is supposedly broken i.e. what they really mean is they stuffed it taking it off! Now saying they cant put it together again without a new one.

They want 180 quid for it!!!!!!!!!! Is that really right? Thieving bast***s! Got me by the short and curlies. Oh and they also came up with the usual crap that you get at every service saying that your discs and pads are 90% warn, they wanted another £240 just to replace the fronts never mind the rears. I mean my bill is now £880, Im not about to pay out another £400 on the brakes...... Will defo be doing that myself.

Aghhhh..... ...Kin Renault. Serves me right for thinking Id got a good deal. Now I remember why for the past 36000 miles I havent taken my car anywhere near a dealer.

Rob.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

i got one of my mates (Renault head tech) to do mine as well as discs and pads all round for £300.:D

seems like a good deal after seeing some of these prices!!!

--chris