ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Cockup

Clio 172
Hi all

About 4 weeks ago I brought a 172 on a 51 plate from a independent dealer.
They are doing a cambelt change on it as it is 5 years old, under the warranty.
thing is they have changed the cambelt and all the bits that go with it, but have bent one of the valves in the process, they are going to fix it and have kept the car in the garage, but i was just wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for when I get it back, as this sounds like some major work they have to do.

Hope some one can put my mind at rest.

well, chagin a single valve isnt too bad a job - it shouldt take them more than a weekend really. What you ahve to worry about is if when the valve bent - did they damage the piston rings - you should metion that to them - a bent valve usually means the valve has been forced against metal i.e the pistions!

however, at the end of the day - at least they were honest and they are fixing it - it wont be in their interest to screw you over by skimping further on works that need to be done to fix the car

Clio 172
cheers for that.

they tell me that it got damaged when they were hand cranking the engine, and that the car runs but sounds lumpy when idling.

sorry for sounding stupid but how would i know if the piston rings been damaged.

as you can tell I dont know alot about engines.

Lionel Richie
sounds like they didn't use the correct locking tools (special tools from renault) when doing the cambelt

i'd ask for a refund and go elsewhere, or request the car gets fixed at renault, i doubt its just 1 bent valve

Re: Cambelt c**kup

Jesus, I'm no mechanic but are you not meant to crank the engine over my hand or something before firing it up??

FredYozzasport said:
i doubt its just 1 bent valve

I think it's more likely to be at least 2 valves in two cylinders? ie. 4 valves? Wouldnt the timing be off on that whole bank, not just one cylinder?

Richie S said:
Oh s**t!

Does this mean my car if fooked!

will it ever be as good as it was?

Dude I dont know, I'm no expert but my underatnding of engines means the shaft timing was out on all 4 cylinders. I would have though at least 2 intake (or exhaust) valves would have been bent in at least 2 cylinders, since two cylinders are alyways at TDC at the same time?

I'm sure Fred will expose me as a noob though lol :eek:

btw TDC means Top Dead Centre if you were worrying - to be honest, beding a valve whilst hand cranking an engine would take one hell of a lot of effort - are you sure they didnt jsut fire it up without hand cranking it? if they did then that is just pure negligence and i would be very angry if i were you.....

Clio 172
Cheers Roy

Just curious on this special Locking tool from renault that Fred talks about, can the job be done without this tool and if so, is my engine in any harm.

it can be cranked without the special tool but then that will be a bodge job im my opinion - have they said when they will get the car back to you?

Clio 172

fastwunz said:
btw TDC means Top Dead Centre if you were worrying - to be honest, beding a valve whilst hand cranking an engine would take one hell of a lot of effort - are you sure they didnt jsut fire it up without hand cranking it? if they did then that is just pure negligence and i would be very angry if i were you.....

Are you saying that the valves cant be damaged while hand cranking an engine, because i'm getting fired up to make a phone call to the mechanic.

Richie S said:
Are you saying that the valves cant be damaged while hand cranking an engine, because i'm getting fired up to make a phone call to the mechanic.

No, im saying it would be pretty tough to bend them - it would take an almighty whack tbh - valves usually only bend when a cam belt snaps and the pistons force the valves onto the block of the engine. Before you phone the mechanic i would rather someone backed me up on this though - dont want my head to be for the chop lol!!

Richie S said:
Cheers Roy

Just curious on this special Locking tool from renault that Fred talks about, can the job be done without this tool and if so, is my engine in any harm.

Yes it can be done without the tool, but the end result will cam timing off, and possible bent valves/smashed pistons.

Clio 172

fastwunz said:
it can be cranked without the special tool but then that will be a bodge job im my opinion - have they said when they will get the car back to you?

next week! Hopefully but have not give a day.

How come there doing the cambelt under warently? Was it part of the agreed sale?

I'd just get your money back for the car assuming so and walk away if they havn't used the correct tools whats to say the'll do anything right.

If you've paifd for it I'd say I'd want compensation and an extended warently to cover for there failure.

williams 2
yeah there no way with out hanging off a breaker bar that ur gonna bent a valve by hand!! they didnt do it by hand!!

Clio 172

edde said:
How come there doing the cambelt under warently? Was it part of the agreed sale?

I'd just get your money back for the car assuming so and walk away if they havn't used the correct tools whats to say the'll do anything right.

If you've paifd for it I'd say I'd want compensation and an extended warently to cover for there failure.

After I brought the motor i found out that it should of had a cambelt done at 5 years, so they agreed to do it for me, as it was a big concern of mine.

one_seven_two said:
yeah there no way with out hanging off a breaker bar that ur gonna bent a valve by hand!! they didnt do it by hand!!

There is your answer then mate - they didnt crank the engine by hand and bend the valve - they are lying to you - they started the egnine probably without fitting the cambelt properly, it either slipped or snapped causeing the pistons to force the valves into the head of the engine. end of - they are screwing you about mate. Get the hell outa there!! or at least ensure they do it properly and get an extended warranty on THEIR works.