ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt Kit...

FF Clio 182
Looking at a car that is for sale, the owners says it has had cambelt kit fitted and a genuine Renault garage for £500.
All I want to know is what does the cambelt kit consist of, would that be dephaser and aux also ?

Thanks

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The aux belt kit should be replaced but not always the dephaser tbh.

The cam belt kit is just that, belt, idlers and adjuster. the other stuff is extra but wont be anymore labour to fit (at the time of doing the cam belt)

FF Clio 182
The aux belt kit should be replaced but not always the dephaser tbh.

The cam belt kit is just that, belt, idlers and adjuster. the other stuff is extra but wont be anymore labour to fit (at the time of doing the cam belt)

So it should be everything just not the dephaser ?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So it should be everything just not the dephaser ?

A cam belt kit is just the belt and rollers, then you have the aux belt kit and dephaser pulley which will cost extra.
Aux belt kit is around £75 from Renault and the dephaser is £150 ish

Renault do state that when replacing the cam belt kit the aux belt kit should also be replaced.

The dephaser pulley depends on how old it is and i have heard it should be replaced on its 2nd cam belt change.

FF Clio 182
So basically check the receipt to make sure it had been done. Is the dephaser changeable on its own or would I need to do a whole cambelt again?

Mec 350 slk manual
Why would you need to change the dephaser ? Is it rattling , I have had my car for over 4 years and never had it changed , just changed the oil every 6k , if its not rattling leave it

FF Clio 182
Why would you need to change the dephaser ? Is it rattling , I have had my car for over 4 years and never had it changed , just changed the oil every 6k , if its not rattling leave it

Yh I just feel better knowing it has been done and don't get slammed with a bill later on because it needs to be done

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I did my cam belt 3 years ago, it was the 2nd time the belt had been replaced and i didnt replace the dephaser.
The car had only done 39k though, its now on 47,500 and its still fine.

If i was to do it again (as im thinking about cams) i will deffo be replacing it though.

Mec 350 slk manual
Yh I just feel better knowing it has been done and don't get slammed with a bill later on because it needs to be done
I would just get the aux kit supplied and fitted safe , but if u want to do the dephaser and new belt done its a big bill not much change I would think between £500-£600

Mec 350 slk manual
I would just get the aux kit supplied and fitted safe , but if u want to do the dephaser and new belt done its a big bill not much change I would think between £500-£600
That why I had the 438s fitted when I had the cam & aux belts kits fitted but now had the a/c delete done.

derv biege barge
Mines 87k never been changed still going strong. Dephaser is sounding knackered though. Gonna have to get it done soon.

FF clio 182 e46 vert
Defo ticking time bomb,I changed my cambelt dephaser cam seals and auxbelt kit at 59,000 just for piece of mind, I wouldn't drive the car If it was on 87k with aux and cambelt not changed 99% of the time if the aux belt goes will take cambelt with it. bit risky as auxilary belt service should be done at 32k.

Clio 182 FF
Ah interesting, i've always had hondas and its been a given that you replace the pump when you do the cambelt. The pump can be changed then at the same time as an aux belt change?

I offer to change the water pump at no extra labour cost when doing cambelt and aux kit, just explain its £50 now or should it fail it's £200 kind of job. I've had a few where the water pump is starting to feel rough now.

That won't include the dephaser as these are £175 alone from Renault.

Change the dealer you use as the are charging you nearly £45 too much;)

I offer to change the water pump at no extra labour cost when doing cambelt and aux kit, just explain its £50 now or should it fail it's £200 kind of job. I've had a few where the water pump is starting to feel rough now.

Bargain!! Can see why you get good recommendations on here Dan. ;)