ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt on 05 Clio 1.6

182 Trophy
Hi

Just wondering, when is the cambelt due on a 05 1.6, is it the same as the renault sports, (its 5 years old so its now due) ... ? Also whats the average price a garage charges to complete and do you think im better off ordering the parts from say euro car parts and then just paying the labour ?

Many Thanks

Sam

ITB'd MK1
I have prices for this listed in my traders section ;)

It's same intervals as a 2 litre. Minor of differences though, It's imperative that you change the water pump for example.

Just as important to use the correct locking tools on these as it is for a 2 litre. I've rectified a few for local garages who've not known it was a fully floating crank pulley.

182 Trophy
I have prices for this listed in my traders section ;)

It's same intervals as a 2 litre. Minor of differences though, It's imperative that you change the water pump for example.

Just as important to use the correct locking tools on these as it is for a 2 litre. I've rectified a few for local garages who've not known it was a fully floating crank pulley.

Hi Buddy

No worries, do you know the brand of the cambelt / kit that renault use ? I dont want to get stung by renault so would rather buy off ebay etc ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cebe0cd7f

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-Clio-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ca520ae3b

Something like this ??

Renault have quoted me -

£119.50 - cambelt kit

blanking plugs x 2 go in gearbox end of cylinder head - £12.61

Water pump = £70.50 - part no 8200582675

Cheers for the advice

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
probably Gates. TBH, I use quality pattern belt kits (very often gates, Dayco or INA) at approx the same cost that you'd get them from GSF or similar

182 Trophy

Ended up getting INA stuff from GSF going to replace the water pump at the same time ...

182 Trophy
Out of intrest, how much extra work is the water pump ? is it something that you would usually just do FOC if you were doing a cambelt (because its 4 bolts on and off) or does it require an extra hours work ...

Also out of intrest why is it imperative to change the water pump ?

Also why do you need a special tool, ** Just as important to use the correct locking tools on these as it is for a 2 litre. I've rectified a few for local garages who've not known it was a fully floating crank pulley** could someone or danny if you have time explain this in a little more detail ?

ITB'd MK1
the timing procedure is almost the same as for an F4R.

pump takes a while extra, draining coolant, cleaning up gasket faces, refilling coolant, and bleeding the air out the system.

It's often the water pump on these that causes timing belt failure by seizing