ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAMBELT SERVICE, CORRECT TOOLS BUT CAMS KEEP OUT OF TIME BY VALVE SPRINGS FORCE!!!!

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172
Hi to all!!!
I am doing the cambelt on my 172 but find myself with some trouble... I do have all the correct tools for the job -the cam pulleys locking tool and adapter needed, the camshafts setting tool a.k.a. horseshoe the crankshaft locking pin.
I have stripped all down according to the engine manual. I am changing the dephaser so I replaced the oil camshaft seal, but I did not wanted to touch the exhaust pulley -and seal- because there is no room for torque tools back there; said this, I fitted the new seal and dephaser and tightened it, and decided to use the second procedure in the manual for setting the tension and timing... reinstalled the belt with the corresponding levering up and down of the engine, but I notice the next:
My camshaft setting tool has less than 1mm gap between the camshaft end grooves, very little and should not be a problem... UNLESS:
- The camshaft “self” rotate by means of the valve springs pushing them (exhaust counter-clockwise, dephaser clockwise) at TDC point. AND
- belt is still not tensioned, even though, when tensioned the belt helps to rotate the pulleys in the way mentioned before... which means even more trouble!!!
These three factors are making me n#ts, no matter what, every time I re-set the tension, and make the two turns to check tension, then verify the timing, the horseshoe tool would not slide in!!!

I am now thinking of slackening BOTH cam pulleys -replace the exhaust seal-, and use the first procedure of the workshop manual ,that as I understand is:
- find TDC and lock crankshaft
- lock the camshafts with the setting tool in the correct positon.
- fit pulley locking tool and slack them, change whatever needed.
- re-fit pulleys without tightening bolt/nut, to freely rotate on the shafts (took me a while to understand this, as the manual never tells to remove the setting tool neither tightening the pulleys!!!) so they MUST rotate freely on the shafts.
- re-fit cambelt and crank sprocket
- re-fit crank pulley without tightening bolt
- fit the new belt, and tension it.
- rotate the engine by six revolutions (with the cam pulleys and crank loose) so the belt tension can equalize itself.
- after tension is set, tighten the crank and cam pulleys bolt/nut. So engine should stay at TDC with cams in correct position and tension would be set already
* I would add: re-check by turning two revolutions the crank just in case

Would you advice me to proceed with the described procedure??? I accept all suggestions/info about your previous experience doing this... maybe inserting shims between the setting tool and camshaft end grooves to manually revert the spring effect, but I am guessing this would be more empirical and longway of doing it...

Taking It to a professional is not an option for me, I just don’t trust the ones near here, nearest one I trust is about 380 miles away and of course my car is almost stripped to bits!
I am extremely reluctant to leave it half or so tooth out of timing!

AND does somebody knows where the h3ll the "large screwdriver" mentioned in the wshp manual to lock the flywheel should be inserted ? (with a picture) I had a hard time trying to find the correct place and I was not able to do it, so I only used the locking pin for the purpose (It will be too bad if it bends when I torque up the TTY bolt of crank pulley)

As a little contribution here are some tools needed for the job (apart from the renault and other obvious ones).
External Torx E-12 socket for the aux-belt tensioner uper bolt
External Torx E-14 socket for the bolt cap where the crank locking pin is to be inserted
hex 14mm bit for the dephaser blanking nut
hex 8 mm for the aux-belt tensioner lower bolt
hex 6 mm for cam-belt tensioner
13 mm socket with small ratchet or 13mm ratcheting spanner for cam-belt tensioner nut.
16 mm ratcheting spanner comes very useful for different purposes

I found really helpful to keep sorted variety of extensions and swivels for your ratchet and Make sure to have a good assortment of short, long, and extra short sockets of 13, 15, 16 & 18mm specially for performing the job with engine still in the car, as I am doing.

Lionel Richie
Re: CAMBELT SERVICE, CORRECT TOOLS BUT CAMS KEEP OUT OF TIME BY VALVE SPRINGS FORCE!!

You are correct, exhaust pulley must be undone

set belt tension and rotate backwards (make sure tensioner doesn't pass exhaust stud)

tighten up in order of inlet exhaust then crank

2003 Clio 172
Re: CAMBELT SERVICE, CORRECT TOOLS BUT CAMS KEEP OUT OF TIME BY VALVE SPRINGS FORCE!!

This floating pully lark mangles my head a bit.......coming from a world of woodruff keys and drill bits to lock everything.

Would love to have a go myself some time as I am still sure Renault did a bad job on mine :/

J

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Thanks a loooot Fred that will do the trick!!! I'll set it tonight and come here with feedback... hopefully I will have my engine time spot on! as it was half tooth out when I inspected it.

Jinjur, you should give it a try, mine was done a 50K miles ago by a Renault technician who works out of the dealer and he made this mistake, the car felt good but idle was lumpy and revving was somewhat hesitating at times, I will see if correctly timing it will solve the problem. Not big deal to check it out, you'll just need new cam end plugs... Is worthy, I can bet many f4Rs out there might be like this.

2003 Clio 172

My word.....you just described EXACTLY how mine behaves. :S

Have 2 cam plugs sitting in the garage right now for the day when a.) i ever get round to doing what you are doing and b.) acquire the appropriate tools.

Let me know how you get on buddy, keen to hear the outcome

J

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Hi guys, just today's update. I installed cam pulleys locking tool but unfortunately the washers used in the tool were not hardened, so they started bending AND the worst part is that the sprocket of the tool started to move outwards when tightening the nut, bending a section of the "belt guard" edge of the pulley. I decided to stop the job and get some hardened washers. Now, I might have to change the exhaust pulley, damage isn't big but I am bit concerned...
ve4yveqe.jpg
:banghead:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Unlucky! That's because most likely its not a genuine tool and damn, what's going off with the belt tension to make the belt be that far over toward the engine?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Unlucky! That's because most likely its not a genuine tool and damn, what's going off with the belt tension to make the belt be that far over toward the engine?
all of this!

The belt should have centralised if you turned the pulleys once the belt tension was set.

Pulley will be fine if the straighten the lip.

2003 Clio 172

hooooo sheeeit. This is what scares me about timing these engines :(

Unlucky buddy.

J

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Nothing to be scared of providing it's done right with the correct tools.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Cheap tools are a big no no, always bend.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

"Scaremongering" is what some people call it when we emphasis the importance of using the correct tools

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

That's another argument and why I was up at 3am this morning... customers!

2003 Clio 172

Bunch of scaremongering, rip-off, 3am b**ches

;)

Lionel Richie

Hi guys, just today's update. I installed cam pulleys locking tool but unfortunately the washers used in the tool were not hardened, so they started bending AND the worst part is that the sprocket of the tool started to move outwards when tightening the nut, bending a section of the "belt guard" edge of the pulley. I decided to stop the job and get some hardened washers. Now, I might have to change the exhaust pulley, damage isn't big but I am bit concerned...
ve4yveqe.jpg
:banghead:

the standard tool does do that, hence my i have a large washer behind there to space it out a bit

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Yeah, I was a little scared of using a none-Reno tool, but they don't sell it here :( however this tool looked well made, problem was the damn soft washers. I'll use a thicker one as Fred metions, so it make a little gap.

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

The belt looks away from the engine in the picture because I took the tensioner out and kept the belt in place.

That exhahat pulley nut is insanely tightened!!! Seriously, dephaser, compared with this was butter on hot toast! I have undone the rear hubnut easier!!! I have somewhat rounded the nut already, I'll get a special socket and fabricate an extra tool for immobilizing the pulley -just in case-. Have someone tried to drill the nut carefully or even using a nut splitter ???

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Damn nut... Taking it out tonight! Then reassembly everything by weekend hopefully...
u7uvujav.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

Hahaha classic! Go easy with that thing though you mad man

master,meg, 205 maxi

the standard tool does do that, hence my i have a large washer behind there to space it out a bit

the genuine tool does have a tiny amount of slop in the cam ends buy neglagable in the grand scheme you only need the crank pulley slightly loose and the dephaser to fit the belt and tension it if the crank pin is in (before loosening the dephaser rock the dephaser forwards and backward make sure it is locked internaly) or your timming could be out - crank pulley loose dephaser loose fit the belt (i fit the front roller with the torx bolt last) put the belt around everything then offer the roller in and screw the bolt in tighten the bolt to the correct torque tension the belt to the edge of its limit then back slightly lock the tensioner male sure all locking tools still in properly tighten the dephaser then torque the crank then remove the timming pin always adhere to the correct torque i normaly put a screw driver through gap in dephaser against head to torque it then fit the oil cap then remove the setting plate then turn engine 4 full turns on the crank setting plate should fit back in with a little jiggle then the pin back in the crank all good fit the caps in head then bolt in front of engine be brave and hit the key!!! scares the crap out of me sometimes once it is running turn it off ad fit aux belt for the next 2 hrs

i do this for a job and never guess the torque figs never turn anything over not tightened up replacing 16 valves at my expense is not what i want!!!

always use genuine tools as they are stronger i have seen techs forget to remove the pin and bend it in the crank cheap ones snap!

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Thanks Andy, that makes sense after analyzing the belt diagram a little more, the dephaser and crank pinion will work as rollers when tensioning, although, te tension between exhaust pulley and tensioner will be a bit higher than on the rest of the belt, it will equalize once engine is rotated... Slackening exhaust pulley -wich is a pain im my case- will help to equalize the tension even better, but your method works I bet. One thing is sure, correct timing of this engines cannot be achieved with method 1 (without touching the cam pulleyaa) described on engine manual (F8ck Reno)... One of the cam pulleys MUST be undone.

master,meg, 205 maxi

from the factory these engines are mildly out of time!! the setting plate almost never goes in easily but i NEVER undo the exhaust as it is a pain and more chance of damaging the pulley tightening or loosening it the belt tension will be equal done my way as it will slip on all loose pulleys 1 fixed will be its point of tension

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Hi guys... Well, finally the stubborn exhaust nut came out... In pieces ;) thanks to a dremel reinfored cutting disc 426 haha. Bad news is I touhed the pulley since I didn't notice the material change, anyways I got a used pulley and the belt is in and correct tension is set now with the cams and crank blocked spot on... Thanks to all of you who contributed here!!! It was valuable info. Now, Im assembling everything back and tomorrow should be hopefully running as a kitten...new dephaser, new camshaft seals, timing kit, aux belt and tensioner, new engine loom, cleaned injectors, new fuel pump, map and temp sensors, new brake rotors, pads and bearings on four corners, oil & coolant change... One year ago, four new struts, wishbones, tie rods, stabilizer bar bushes. Should have car for uocoming years. Cheers guys...
uve8e6a5.jpg
aryjy5ab.jpg
8atutavu.jpg

The one issue I can see you having is putting the lower belt cover on now you've put it all on and tensioned.

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Oh... Hi Dan, it is tensioned but crank and cam pulleys ain't tight yet ;) just sitting in place..

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

I'll pull crank acessories a little, then, cover in hopefully..

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Got my new loom with some heat-shielding tape, hopefully it will last much longer. It came with really bad assembly quality and cheap materials, I am not surprised of the bad condition of my currently 9 year old one ay all .
ybusesu8.jpg
2ehejery.jpg
ymana5a3.jpg

Oh... Hi Dan, it is tensioned but crank and cam pulleys ain't tight yet ;) just sitting in place..

Pull the belt off and the upper tensioner and idler, put the lower cover on then go from there. The cover WILL NOT fit, and will break if you try to do it otherwise.

edit: wrong account.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

Didn't realise you were into cars too Vikki ;)

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172

Yep you can... Just need to have undone all of the engine/tranny mounts, the engine moves enough away to allow eaaasy acces to install and remove the lower cover without touching the rollers.