ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt woes

Clio Williams & 182
So, picked up a 182 a couple of weeks ago. Very loud dephaser and after 400 miles it's misfiring badly too.

So I get the tools and cambelt and depahser. Strip it down (lots to take off it seems to me? Mk1 easier) engine jacked up, check TDC, fit locking tool at the back of the cams.

First problem: Locking pin WILL NOT lock anywhere. I know it's at TDC on piston 1, but bugger me, I can't lock the crank.

Two hours later, I say screw it, it's at TDC. FU F4R. Can't/won't lock.

Marks lined up properly. Piston 1 at max height. Off come the belt and dephaser. Looks like the pulley locking tool I got is not correct and so screw that too.

On goes new dephaser and cambelt, exhaust pulley slips a bit while I struggle to get belt on, timing marks now off. But hey! It's locked so all good right? Must just be the floating pulley moving a bit I think. Nah, of course not, the locking tool has bent.

So that's going to have to be checked and redone.

So I decide I am getting over tired and it's time to quit and come back another day. I don't want to leave my expensive jack under the engine for people to pinch, so I get the engine mount back on. Because I am tired and I forgot, I jack the engine up a bit, to fiddle with the alternator tensioner. Engine mount rubber shears. Yay! More expense.

I carry on trying to get the tensioner on again and give up. Heap of s**t design. The bolt is too long and the tensioner is too hard. What's the trick for this?

Also, these 'floating pulleys'. What is the point having timing marks for them if they are not locked? The marks on the pulley could be miles out in relation to the timing mark on the cover, and still the cams would be correctly timed.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The tool that fits in the back of the cams is not a cam locking tool.

Did you buy the tool that locks the cam pulleys?

182 Cup, DC2, E500
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare day bud.

Not done one on these personally but I'm sure some of the more experienced cambelt-err's will be on to advise shortly.

I don't get the floating pulleys - whats wrong with key ways? Cost I bet.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nothing to do with cost.

Its to do with be able to set the timing correct.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
There is no timing marks on the cams or crank.

The tool you have makes sure that the cams are in the correct position.

There is another tool that renault sell that locks the cam spockets so that the dephaser and the exhaust pulley can be un done.

Clio Williams & 182
Ok. So the tool bending on the exhaust cam will have allowed the timing to go out.

What's the point of the pulley locking tool.

Clio Williams & 182
There is no timing marks on the cams or crank.

The tool you have makes sure that the cams are in the correct position.

There is another tool that renault sell that locks the cam spockets so that the dephaser and the exhaust pulley can be un done.

Ahh ok, just to undo them. Ok tah.

When I am less tired I'll have anther go. I always find things are 10x harder when yer tired.

Just bought a vibratechnics upper mount to replace the one I just broke...may as well eh? :)

Clio Williams & 182
I am going to take the tensioner off completely and pretension it and then refit. Is this the easiest method? I'll clamp the bugger first.

Clio 172 182 197 200
As dan says. The cam horse shoe is Litrally a timing point. And not to be used as a cam pully removal or locking tool. That's what the cam pully tools for.