ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cambelt worry...

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Hi, this thread has probably been seen many times before.

So I apologise in advance...

Just bought my new clio 1.6 16v today. Its done 49000 miles and i have no idea about the cam belt.

Can anyone give me some advice?

How often does it need changing?
How do you no when to change it?
Can you check to see if its ok?
Whats the risks?

Thanks

look at the service history and itll say whether it was done
the risk...if it snaps,then a new engine would probs be cheaper
i got mine done for 320 including my aux belt

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I bought my car and it was 7yrs old (40k) and no proof of cambelt change. So it was the 1st thing I did. Cost me £170 from a decent private garage I used to go to.

cheapest doesnt always mean the best.mine included the auxilary belt so it wont be that much if you get just the cambelt done

Look at it this way, £320 to prevent it, or £XXXX to fix it

+1

"cba with that" is the wrong attitude to take

Not going to be thousands for a new engine plus fitting. My 182 with failed rings cost this much

Engine £250
Fitting £250
Other bits and bobs £75 quid tops

Made about 200 quid back on the old engine too.

Agree its a s**t attitude to have though.

M

mini-valver

I paid £160 to have mine done but that didn't include Aux belt which you should do at the same time as when that goes, it'll take the cambelt with it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Want me to post up my bill when my dephaser pully broke? (same as cambelt snapping)?

BMW M135i
Checking it doesn't help, and yes its likely to snap at this age. It wants changing asap, this is something you should've checked before buying the car really.

BMW M135i
As if it was advertised with FSH then you may be able to get carcraft to pay for it (doubt it but worth a try) as it hasn't got it if the cambelt change hasn't been done.

As if it was advertised with FSH then you may be able to get carcraft to pay for it (doubt it but worth a try) as it hasn't got it if the cambelt change hasn't been done.
I was just about to post something similar. Also what with the other problems he's having with it, it maybe worth seeing what they'll do about it. Or maybe giving it back & getting refunded ?

Clio 1.4 16v
my cambelt has just gone on my clio about 20 mins ago, i believe this could possibly be an engine replacement? it was on 66k miles due the change at 72k

Clio 16v, Polo SDi, M3
It's better to be safe than sorry, like everyone else has said.

If you don't listen to the quality advice you're being given you'll be posting another thread soon along the lines of "F*** my cambelt has just snapped"

M

mini-valver

72k or 5 years. Your own fault!! 1.4 complete engines can be had for £200, put a belt on that before you put it in though ;)