ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt

Ph 1 172
:cry: okies here goes fellas i just payed hard cash for all my new alloys and lowering springs and dvd player in my car... im driving down to lakeside (shopping with the misses) and im doing 70mph in the fast lane all of a sudden i hear a wining noise and my car losses all power i had to bolt across three lanes and from what i can see my cam belt has completly snapped what sort of damage ami looking at and how much do you reackon it takes to cost prices wise......i aint taking it to renault either. be honest fells how FCUKed am i:cry:

Vauxhall corsa x2
bent valves, smashed piston, con rods, crank, camshafts, caps, head.
depends if ur lucky or not tbf. wont know until u take the head of and have a look. could be a new engine job

bent valves, smashed piston, con rods, crank, camshafts, caps, head.
depends if ur lucky or not tbf. wont know until u take the head of and have a look. could be a new engine job

no. it shouldnt be a new engine job. just a new block - perhaps. Basically if the valves are bent then you need a new block - this could furthermore mean that the pistons are shagged which THEN may mean a new bottom end. Basically, you need to get in there and have a look.

S2000
Most likely just some bent valves I would think, you won't know till you get the head off though. If they are bent you could hopefully just replace them and pop the head back on, but it all depends on whether they have damaged anything else when they bent so you really need to get the head off.

IMO forget trying to fix the engine go to a breakers yard and get a second hand lump the same spec etc and stick that it its easier and often cheaper by miles.

Ph 1 172
well see this was my first car so i didnt no much about them or internal works of a car, and about 1 week ago i read about the cam belt needing changing every 5 years (im the 2nd owner so not sure if it was changed before) the car has done 68k miles so i thought right i get paid in two weeks get it done then just to be on the safe side and now its shagged lol.... i was sort of hoping i would need a new engine in a way get something with a bit more poke.....does anyone no the average price you should pay for a 172 or such like engine getting fitted and bought??

Ph 1 172
see i dont no lol i got two belts i can see when i look in the engine there is on straight infront of me that is quite small and then i got another one below it thats attached to the main block of the engine..... this is the one that has snapped .......... i aint doing no0 engine conversion though lol just wanna get rid of it now love the car but i have had nothing but problems with it from the day i got it.... im thinking of saving up for a 1.8 rsi now

Ph 1 172
would it help if i got a pic? what sort of cost is it to get the aux belt changed over and does it do much damage if it breaks

Ph 1 172
okies the first one shows the belt you can see straight away when you open the bonnet that one is fine the belt that is snapped is the one just on the inside of the wheel/pulley thing. i got a close pic of where it was after. also the red square on the first pic shows where it was

69146604a4885057928l.jpg

69146604a4885058014l.jpg

Ph 1 172
okies now i know im asking a lot of question but what sort of price should i look at o get this changed and what sort of damage does it do

D

dannyh_17

yes m8 thats the auxillary i got mine changed the other day as it was fraying although it was fairly new but i had lots of oil everywhere which i think was causing the belt to slip and fray. the guy had to clean the alternator which was covered in oil which you can see on urs is clean so it cost me £30 for the belt but also some new bolts and to find and sort the oil leak and clean the alternator. though i think the belt cost around £23 at my local garage not a renault garage lol

Ph 1 172
cheers fellas you been a great help again lol hopefully ill have a month of trouble free driving .....one last question if this is all that needs to be fixed is there anything else i should do just to be on the safe side cambelt....oil change...anything like that not rewally sure its going on credit card so i wanna get it all done now

Mondeo TDCI 130
hang on, the car stopped? the bloody auxiliary belt wont make it stop? its shafted i reckon! and on a 1.2 its a piece of piss job, prob couple of hundred quid in bits!, but if you cant do it yourself your in the s**t really!

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
he stopped the car himself after hearing the noise is what i understand. Just get a new belt and everything touch wood will be fine mate.

Ph 1 172
well it happened so quick but i think it stopped it self to be honest hense why i lost all speed so quickly on the fast lane what do you reackon on the pictures

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
youd of lost power, but if something went wrong in the engine 9 times out of 10 you would hear a clunk or two and a bang... If the cambelt is fine and not snapped then i very very much doubt there is any damage to engine internals