ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera For The Missus

It's the missus's Birthday in August and she wants a camera.

I am thinking either a top of the range point and click or a cheaper Digital SLR. £500 maximum budget really - Really would like to spend £400.

I was planning on going and getting a few copies of some magazines to see what they suggest - What are the ones to look at - Which Guides? or are there any better ones?

Its mainly going to be used when we are travelling about as we go away quite a lot, and I am looking for something that will work doing good panoramics, as well as close up pictures. I don't however want her lugging lenses and all that crap around with her, as I will end up carrying it all. I want an all in one solution for her really.

We are going to Hong Kong for a few days towards the end of the year. Am I best waiting until we go out there or is that days gone by now and prices are quite similar over here to there, as ebay still seems to suggest otherwise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am looking at Pentax, Nikon, Sony and Canon brands - things that aren't going to fall apart.

/y0z

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Might find a bridge camera aka superzoom fits the bill better. What you loose in absolutely photo quality, is made up for in terms of a single lens that'll go from wide to very long. I racked up over 50k shots on my old Sony DSC-H1! The new Sony DSC-HX1 has a very trick panoramic mode that has been seen as a great innovation by various reviewers.

Motorbikes
Nikon D40 is a great starter camera!

+1

Or Canon 450D. Think the 500D is within budget but also has HD video recording and HD, but heard AF during video recording is pap or something like that.

You say you dont want to be carrying lenses around a lot so also consider a bridge camera? Cross betwen P&S and DSLR, but doesnt require intercahngeable lenses.

I have never heard of a bridge camera. I will look into that too.

Would you even think about buying something from London Camera Exchange? 2nd Hand?

/y0z

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nikon D40 is a great starter camera!
not for someone who doesn't want to have interchangeable lens's though really, i'd be +1 for the bridge camera.

plus, isn't the d40 in a museum yet, its sooooooo old isn't it?

Well under budget, but the Panasonic TZ-3 would be my choice, my folks, in-laws, bro-in-laws and cousin all have one, none of them have a bad word to say about them really.

Compact, massive zoom, wide-angle, it does pretty much everything, and does it very well.

Lee

BMW M2C
Well under budget, but the Panasonic TZ-3 would be my choice, my folks, in-laws, bro-in-laws and cousin all have one, none of them have a bad word to say about them really.

Compact, massive zoom, wide-angle, it does pretty much everything, and does it very well.

+1.

My old man wanted a digital compact and was looking at the Panasonic range, mainly due to the adverts on TV at the time. I suggested he go for the TZ3 due to the massive 10x Optical zoom, which really makes it versatile. He's taken it everywhere with him since he's got it, and has taken some really stunning photos. For a compact it's hard to fault.

Remember y0z, if it doesn't fit in her bag you'll end up carrying it.