ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera + lenses - £600

My mate is looking to spend about £600 on a camera plus lenses. He wants some decent zoom so my suggestion was a D60 + 18-55 & 55-200.

What else is there to consider in that price that gets up to 200mm? I can't think of many!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I have a D60 with 18-55 VR and Sigma 70-300 APO, with a case and memory this will be around budget. I've been very impressed with it all, although I've not really played about with that many other cameras. I did consider the D40 but I wanted the option for large prints so I thought the extra pixels would benefit me, also it has the sensor cleaning as a bonus and the VR lens makes a noticeable difference at slower shutter speeds. If your mate's not really that bother about all that, then I can see little reason to pick it over the D40. I'd google the differences and see if he needs them.

I've been very impressed with the Sigma lens, really good value IMO. Great quality at a good price. I didn't really look much at the Nikkor 55-200 so not sure how they compare. Here's some pics taken on my D60 with both lenses. The F1 pics are with the Sigma, mostly at full zoom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awaitinginspiration/

dk

911 GTS Cab
not sure why people keep suggesting a discontinued camera, will there ever be a point where the d40 goes lol.

for me it would be canon 1000d kit or 450d kit with the canon 55-250 lens.

both cameras much better spec than the d40 and not lens compatibility to worry about.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Before recommending lenses/cameras, what are they planning to shoot?

Why not a Nikon/Canon and their 18-200 if its everything?

Renault Clio Sport Ph2
I'd go with either of these:

- Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS and 55-250IS (or sigma/tamron 70-300 for the cheaper alternative)
- Sony A200 with 18-70 and 75-300 is also a nice deal if you can still find it. The new A230 takes the same pictures but is worse in the hand plus costs twice as much.

The sony is cheaper and has built in image stabilisation (so cheaper tele-zoom lensen!). The canon is the better choise if you want to upgrade in the future, a lot more to choose from in both the bodies (2nd hand 30D/40D) and much more lenses available.

I've got a 40D, came from a 350D. Perfect camera combined with some good lenses. I'm working with a Canon 17-40L F/4.0, Canon 70-200L F/4.0 and a Sigma 30 F/1.4 in the lens department!

v6
I'd go with either of these:

- Canon 1000D with 18-55 IS and 55-250IS (or sigma/tamron 70-300 for the cheaper alternative)
- Sony A200 with 18-70 and 75-300 is also a nice deal if you can still find it. The new A230 takes the same pictures but is worse in the hand plus costs twice as much.

That what i've just gone for, cost about £450 i think.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet mind :eek:

Renault Clio Sport Ph2
The downside of any 18-200 (canon, nikon, sony, sigma, tamron, etc) is that the picture quality is lower when you compare it to two lenses (say a nice standard lens combined with a tele lens). Less detail, less contrast, smaller aperture so less light making it harder for the camera to focus and you have to use higher iso values), weaker construction (the 18-200 lenses extend a _lot_) when zooming resulting in lens-wobble and zoom-creeping.

Sure its easier, you dont have to switch lenses all the time. But dont expect the high quality pictures you see from dSLR camera's because you wont get them with such a all-in-one lens.

If you realy must use a 18-200 lens then I would go the Nikon way, that's the only pretty decent 18-200 lens out there.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
only issue with the D40, is the auto bracketing for exposure!! REally pees me off