ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Camera Recommendations

RS Clio 182
Ok im into Photography as a hobby (mainly landscape),i have had a Canon bridge camera for a few years but when i got the Huawei P20 Pro that seemed to be an even better camera lol - im just wondering what would be the next step up in quality? And recommendations in the £400-500 range? Im guessing DLSR or is there something else?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Make the step up and go for a full frame dslr, like a used 5d mk3.

Or maybe the EOS M platform, they seem decent from the quick go i've had of one.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't get another bridge, as James says, get a second had 5 but is think for that budget it would be a MK2. You might be able to get a 6 MK1?

I've not looked at any Mirrorless ones but they do seem quite popular now.

I found I was leaving my full frame DSLR at home more and more often, so decided to chop it all in for an Olympus OMD mirrorless. OK, so Olympus look like getting out of the cameras business now but I'd certainly recommend looking at a mirrorless system. It's 2/3 size and weight and that swung it for me.

RS Clio 182
I found I was leaving my full frame DSLR at home more and more often, so decided to chop it all in for an Olympus OMD mirrorless. OK, so Olympus look like getting out of the cameras business now but I'd certainly recommend looking at a mirrorless system. It's 2/3 size and weight and that swung it for me.

How about this one?

Are these a big step up from bridge/phone cameras?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I got my GF a used Panasonic Lumix LX15 for £150 last year for holiday, it takes phenominal pictures. Detail is chalk and cheese compared to a smart phone, you don't need an SLR to take good pictures.

Swift Sport

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Actually this one has great reviews,might be tempted by it..

I've got one of those.

Great compared to a phone, depending what you need from a camera. It's crap at night and long exposure photos however, so it depends what you're going to do with it. Compared to a SLR it's a bit simple, but it's cracking for what it is and blows phones out of the water.

'Proper' SLRs are epic in the right hands, I had a bridge (years and years ago) and then a low spec SLR and then got a better one when I ran out of buttons to press on the basic one a couple of years later.

A 5D might be ace, but each lense will be a few hundred quid and you never have the right one on or with you :ROFLMAO: they're also massive and complex.

I personally like wide lenses. Very rarely shoot anything over 30mm.. but if you're into bird spotting (easy now) from miles away, you'll need a lense to suit.

Go somewhere like John Lewis and try some out - assuming that's allowed ATM... *Sigh*

How about this one?

Are these a big step up from bridge/phone cameras?

I can only comment on the Olympus OMD E1 mk2 that I have. I does everything my old DSLR did but I have got some great lenses that weren't cheap. Phone cameras have tiny sensors/lenses and therefore everything is done in software, bridge beyond, the lenses physically move the glass around to zoom, have real apertures etc and therefore in my mind are better.

They will give you more control and you'll have to get used to zooming, adjusting controls by hand rather than a button (bridge) or slider (phone).

It sounds like you know what you're doing rather than a complete novice so I'd say they will give you more and it'll be a progression rather than a huge jump.

I was once told that if you need to compromise somewhere, compromise on the camera body and not the lens. After all, the camera body just gives you something to hold, positions the sensor and attach the lens to so the quality of your image will be more dictated by the lens rather than how fancy the camera body is. Not sure I fully agree but the beauty of a camera with interchangable lenses, is you can grow/adapt as you go along.

Unfortunately, I think we're just adding to your questions rather than giving you an answer - sorry :cool:

RS Clio 182
I've got one of those.

Great compared to a phone, depending what you need from a camera. It's crap at night and long exposure photos however, so it depends what you're going to do with it. Compared to a SLR it's a bit simple, but it's cracking for what it is and blows phones out of the water.

'Proper' SLRs are epic in the right hands, I had a bridge (years and years ago) and then a low spec SLR and then got a better one when I ran out of buttons to press on the basic one a couple of years later.

A 5D might be ace, but each lense will be a few hundred quid and you never have the right one on or with you :ROFLMAO: they're also massive and complex.

I personally like wide lenses. Very rarely shoot anything over 30mm.. but if you're into bird spotting (easy now) from miles away, you'll need a lense to suit.

Go somewhere like John Lewis and try some out - assuming that's allowed ATM... *Sigh*

Ive got to say the Huawei phone is great at landscape pictures - but is this a big step up? I dont want to spend £400+ on something which is slightly better...