ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

can any1 tell me what this is?

liv

1999 mk2 clio
my oil light n stop light is on at all times and i have had the oil pressure tested ( passed the pressure test ) and the oil pressure switch has been replaced replaced but lights still. i think it might have something to do with the tiny black box to the left oil the oil cap on top of the engine. can any1 tell me what it is and what is its purpose? thanx
tried to upload a photo of it but dont no how
l

1999 mk2 clio rn 1.2

Last edited:

liv

1999 mk2 clio
the black thing im talking about has a beige wire going to it

cliocourts003.jpg

Last edited:

liv

1999 mk2 clio
the car is driving perfect just the light stays on. no not milk its cleaner i sprayed on it just hadnt wiped it of yet when i took the pic. just wonderin if the black thing could be the problem as mine is broken

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I think the part you're referring to is the camshaft sensor which wouldn't cause an oil light on any engine.

I'm not familiar with these engines though so I might have got the wrong sensor.

Are you able to have it plugged into a machine to find any fault codes. Could be another faulty sensor. My car had this problem when I first got it. Sensor cured.

Note, car needs new coolant. Should be green not brown.

liv

1999 mk2 clio
I think the part you're referring to is the camshaft sensor which wouldn't cause an oil light on any engine.

I'm not familiar with these engines though so I might have got the wrong sensor.

Are you able to have it plugged into a machine to find any fault codes. Could be another faulty sensor. My car had this problem when I first got it. Sensor cured.

Note, car needs new coolant. Should be green not brown.

hey grazo22, thanks for the info but unfortantly its not the camshaft sensor

Clio 172
While I'm here... Silly question... Have you checked you have enough oil?! If so, and there is oil, oil pressure and the pressure switch are all ok...have you looked at the oil level sensor? This is different to the pressure sensor. If it's bust it could be saying you have no oil and to stop!
jack

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Don't know what other sensor would be on top of the engine if it's not camshaft.

Probably silly question but does the car register the oil level is okay when you start up? If you're certain the sensor is okay then options are diagnostics or check the wiring.

liv

1999 mk2 clio
While I'm here... Silly question... Have you checked you have enough oil?! If so, and there is oil, oil pressure and the pressure switch are all ok...have you looked at the oil level sensor? This is different to the pressure sensor.
jack

yes oil level is perfect done a full service when i changed the oil pressure switch (above the oil fiter).. were is the oil level sensor? thanks for you reply

liv

1999 mk2 clio
Don't know what other sensor would be on top of the engine if it's not camshaft.

Probably silly question but does the car register the oil level is okay when you start up? If you're certain the sensor is okay then options are diagnostics or check the wiring.

the oil light is bright before i start the car but when start it the oil light dims but stays on with the stop light.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
on the display when you turn the car on (where the mileage displays) does it say "oil ok"?

Clio 172
Not 100% sure on your engine. I don't even know where apt hinges are on my 2.0l sport. I'm new to these cars and learning as I go!! I'm sure someone will be along soon enough though. Try google for now, that might help!

liv

1999 mk2 clio
anyone unsure of what the black thing is im meaning i have uploaded it as my profile picture and have an arrow as to what im meaning. thank you any help appreciated

Clio 172
anyone unsure of what the black thing is im meaning i have uploaded it as my profile picture and have an arrow as to what im meaning. thank you any help appreciated

Going on what I know from my time on 106s...it looks like an interference blocker. The 1.1 106 has something similar and it simply prevents electronic interference from window wipers and stuff messing with the radio signal. That will have nothing to do with you oil light I don't think.

The thing you are thinking of with the beige wire won't cause the lights you have. As i think that is the MAF sensor?

liv

1999 mk2 clio
The thing you are thinking of with the beige wire won't cause the lights you have. As i think that is the MAF sensor?

you see its not actually a removable part the black thing is part of the engine wireing loom and is bolted to the engine beside the oil cap. theres an number on it witch is 7700876108 is that helps i tried google it to see if it was a part number but couldntt find anything

Clio 172
you see its not actually a removable part the black thing is part of the engine wireing loom and is bolted to the engine beside the oil cap. theres an number on it witch is 7700876108 is that helps i tried google it to see if it was a part number but couldntt find anything

It's 100% a suppressor, it's just there to neutralise the electrical noise that the coils produce. Without this gizmo, you'd probably find you got an engine speed related whine through the radio.

It may be designed to earth through its mounting point. Then again, it may just normally be bolted down to stop it flapping about. If you're not getting the aforementioned whine through the radio, then I'd be inclined to just leave it alone.

Jack

liv

1999 mk2 clio
It's 100% a suppressor, it's just there to neutralise the electrical noise that the coils produce. Without this gizmo, you'd probably find you got an engine speed related whine through the radio.

It may be designed to earth through its mounting point. Then again, it may just normally be bolted down to stop it flapping about. If you're not getting the aforementioned whine through the radio, then I'd be inclined to just leave it alone.

Jack

thanks for the info.

does the 1999 clio have an oil level senor aswell as an pressure switch?? if so were is the level sensor located? thanx

Clio 172
thanks for the info.

does the 1999 clio have an oil level senor aswell as an pressure switch?? if so were is the level sensor located? thanx

As I said before, I have no idea where the sensor is on your car, I dont even know where it is on mine. It will be low down though. My old Audi TT had it in the bottom of the sump, you had to drop the oil to change it. I would expect the clio to have it around the oil filter area. Cant even guarantee you even have one, all I know is, my TT had one and the 172 has one somewhere to give the "oil ok" reading on the dash when you turn the car on!

liv

1999 mk2 clio
As I said before, I have no idea where the sensor is on your car, I dont even know where it is on mine. It will be low down though. My old Audi TT had it in the bottom of the sump, you had to drop the oil to change it. I would expect the clio to have it around the oil filter area. Cant even guarantee you even have one, all I know is, my TT had one and the 172 has one somewhere to give the "oil ok" reading on the dash when you turn the car on!

changed oil pressure switch today and still no luck started the car with the oil switch out and oil gushed out so it defintly passing oil around the engine