ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can anyone explain this?!

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Doing some insurance quotes on go compare, admiral came up the cheapest. I then started changing some things. I changed where the vehicle will be at night from a locked garage, to my driveway - this brought the price down by £239! Then i changed it to the road outside my house - this brought it down another £16! So its cheaper for me to insure the car on the road than in a locked garage!!! Anyone know any reasons for this? lol

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
It's because people break into houses to steal your car. If it's on the street they're less likely to pick the right house.

There's a thread on here just this week where 3 guys tried to break into a home to steal the keys.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
yoursign.jpg

It might go down again this time.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Yeah i can see where your both coming from, but its just not what you expect to happen lol. You just assume that if its in the garage then its safer and has less chance of anything happening to it!

dan's cast offs.
car insurance premiums are calculated using the numberwang algorithm, once you understand numberwang it pretty much all makes sense.

i asked my insurance company this. they explained alot of things get dropped on cars in garages, tins of paint etc hence alot of claims in garages

Black 172
i asked my insurance company this. they explained alot of things get dropped on cars in garages, tins of paint etc hence alot of claims in garages

This ^

Imagine the amount of people that back out of their tight garage and end up knocking a wall, scraping the entire side of the car, or worse the garage collapses onto the car....

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
This ^

Imagine the amount of people that back out of their tight garage and end up knocking a wall, scraping the entire side of the car, or worse the garage collapses onto the car....

it also means if some scumbag c**t gets into your garage, they're less likely to be seen f**king about with the alarm on your pride and joy than if they do it in the street.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
But then think how many people get their cars damaged by passing cars on the street, or by the weather, or by criminals who otherwise wouldn't even know it existed if it was in a garage, by pissheads etc etc. There are just as many reasons for a garage being safer than not, if not more reasons.

RS Clio 172 Cup
I park mine on the edge of a cliff... cheapest insurance there is.

The insurance sector just isn't regulated properly IMO

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Haha it just doesnt make sense at all! I obviously want to pay the cheaper price but i dont want to leave the car on the road.....

Tell them you want the cheaper price, but for the car to be safer, and for your peace of mind you're going to put it In the garage.

if they try to charge you more say no and ask them to justify the price increase. I'd love to hear their reasoning

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
People lie about having garages. Often cars are insured as being in a garage and the one night the claim happens it isn't. Stuff falls down in garages. Neighbours notice if your car is gone on the road. In a garage people don't notice for much longer when it's stolen. If the car caught on fire in the garage it would cause a massive amount more damage that if it was on the street. The list goes on :)

I'll be writing up a guide soon on how to get a good quote.

Ford Mustang 5.0
We at Greenlight would give a bigger discount if the car is garaged, then driveway is the next best, then Car park, then finally on the road.

I cant understand why a company would give a give a cheaper price to a car that is parked on the road compared to securely in a garage.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight

MR2 Mk1.5
Doing some insurance quotes on go compare, admiral came up the cheapest. I then started changing some things. I changed where the vehicle will be at night from a locked garage, to my driveway - this brought the price down by £239! Then i changed it to the road outside my house - this brought it down another £16! So its cheaper for me to insure the car on the road than in a locked garage!!! Anyone know any reasons for this? lol

Any abnormalities will be statistically driven..

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Feel free to run it by us before posting, the last one I saw on a forum was full of ways to void your insurance policy.

I'm sure it was! There are lots of ways completely above board though :) I worked for an insurer for a while so know a little about quoting but mainly about the claim side of stuff

Ex 182 owner
Just though I would add to the admiral merry go round. I actually increased the value of my car on the quote and it lowered the premium. The guy on the end of the phone was at pains to state that obviously actual cost paid out would reflect market value. I said "exactely" hence the "insured" vehicle value is actually irrelevant, except that it lowered the quote by £40.