ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can I use Jump Leads

PH1 172
Hi all,

Not used the car for over a week now and as a result of the cold weather my battery is dead. Is it ok to connect it up to another car using jump leads or should I take the battery out all together and charge it from another car as I don't have a charger?

I ask as I have heard stories about people fooking up their ecu etc when using jump leads.

Thanks in advance

330i. E30 Touring.
Jump leads are fine.

Make sure the other car is running when you connect them up.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Can't imagine jumping would hurt it as long as the battery you're jumping off is the same kind.

PH1 172
Jump leads are fine.

Make sure the other car is running when you connect them up.

Cheers for the reply. I will start the other car up and then connect the leads that end and then on my car or should I do it the other way round?

PH1 172
Can't imagine jumping would hurt it as long as the battery you're jumping off is the same kind.

It's being jumped of a 1.3 KA, which I have used before to jump start a Dodge Ram truck, so I know the battery is fine to do the job just wanted to know if doing it to the clio sport would be ok as the stories have got me worried :eek:

330i. E30 Touring.
Open both bonnets.
Start KA.
Connect leads to KA.
Connect leads to 172.
Fire up 172.
Leave for a minute.
Disconnect.

Job done.

PH1 172
Open both bonnets.
Start KA.
Connect leads to KA.
Connect leads to 172.
Fire up 172.
Leave for a minute.
Disconnect.

Job done.

Cheers mate, I know it was a silly question but sometimes you just got to ask so you don't feel like a bigger tit with a bigger problem :eek:

330i. E30 Touring.
Don't blame me if it goes tits up! ;)

I've done it with countless cars, and never had a problem!

As long as you connect the leads the correct way round, and in the correct order it'll be fine.

You're better off earthing to the car body opposed to the negative terminal on the battery.

PH1 172
Don't blame me if it goes tits up! ;)

I've done it with countless cars, and never had a problem!

Don't worry I won't and cheers the help :)

As long as you connect the leads the correct way round, and in the correct order it'll be fine.

You're better off earthing to the car body opposed to the negative terminal on the battery.

Yeah I know to do the negative lead before the positive lead :)

I have been told before not to connect the negative lead to the battery and to the car body instead but have found the car that's dead won't start. As soon as I connected the negative lead to the battery, it started:S

Agreed, I never use the negative on the car battery if I ever need to jump a car.

PH1 172
Agreed, I never use the negative on the car battery if I ever need to jump a car.

So if I earth it to the body shell and only connect the positive lead to the battery then it will start even though when I have done this before on the truck it didn't want to know until I connected both leads to the battery?

So if I earth it to the body shell and only connect the positive lead to the battery then it will start even though when I have done this before on the truck it didn't want to know until I connected both leads to the battery?

You need to make sure you're getting a good earth. Don't try and earth to Clio wings (don't laugh, I've seen people try). On the chassis somewhere under the bonnet is a good bet.

Never had any issues myself. If it doesnt work, and connecting to the battery negative works, then bash on lol

PH1 172
You need to make sure you're getting a good earth. Don't try and earth to Clio wings (don't laugh, I've seen people try). On the chassis somewhere under the bonnet is a good bet.

Did you not know that plastic is a good earthing point lol....Okey doke I will connect the negative to a good earth point and give it a go that way...cheers for the replies :)

On another note, can I take the battery out and charge it using the KA as I may have a bit of a mission getting the car out the garage :dapprove:

AGH the sl*g
no you cant, just start the clio and either take it for a good drive with no lights/heaters/wipers/stero on as these suck any power the alternator is making instead of charging the battery or leave it ticking over for a good length of time whilst keeping an eye on it.

i have only ever see it go worng once and all it did was blow a fuse, due to one of the cars having a opp polarity for some unknown stupid reason, but youll be fine ive used jump leads thousands of times n i really mean thousands lol.

PH1 172
no you cant, just start the clio and either take it for a good drive with no lights/heaters/wipers/stero on as these suck any power the alternator is making instead of charging the battery or leave it ticking over for a good length of time whilst keeping an eye on it.

i have only ever see it go worng once and all it did was blow a fuse, due to one of the cars having a opp polarity for some unknown stupid reason, but youll be fine ive used jump leads thousands of times n i really mean thousands lol.

Cheers. I will just fight with getting it out the garage around the truck and get it charged :)

Or you could take the battery out the KA and fit it into the Clio to get it running. Is it just temporary you need it started ? ie to move it or something?

PH1 172
Or you could take the battery out the KA and fit it into the Clio to get it running. Is it just temporary you need it started ? ie to move it or something?

I need it up and running now I am back from holiday lol. It's ok I will get it out the garage some how and then get it running :)