ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can should an immobiliser be fitted to a mk1?

Even though its an old car its starting to look very nickable without an alarm as I add more and more mods. Can an immobiliser be fitted? Is it true that most aftermarket immobilisers on old cars are a waste of time because the ignition can just be pulled out and the wires hot-wired in some way?

BMW M135i
Which Phase is it? Only the Ph1s didn't have transponder immobilsers iirc, well thats the case with the Valvers/Williams anyway.

You can fit an immobiliser - most insurance companies usually ask for a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser to be fitted for it to be insured anyway.

Or you could get a Disklok - chunky fucker that should dissuade people!

Cat 1 alarm would be best as you'd then have it bell'd up should someone want something out of it but not the whole car...

Could you explain to me how the immobiliser works in use?

Is it a microchip in the fob that talks to another microchip that opens / breaks a connection somewhere in the system?! :eek:

I already have a removeable steering wheel so the immobiliser's just to get cheaper insurance if I'm installing an alarm anyway.