ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can you damage alloy by replacing a tyre?

53 plate 172
Had my front tyres replaced this morning for the first time. Car is 4 years old and 13,000 on the clock.

Now I only use the car back and to to work so I park in the garage at home and car park at work. I dont park by kerbs.

Yet just put my car away now and noticed one of the alloys looks like it has been kerbed yet I'm convinced I haven't done it. Only cleaned it a couple of weeks ago so would have noticed it then.

I can't prove it but it must have happened this morning. Has anybody come across this before? Is it possible to cause that kind of damage by changing a tyre? It's not just a scratch, the metal is grated approx 6 inches in total.

Da

Less
Re: Can you damage alloy why replacing a tyre?

Yes a careless tyre fitter can damage the alloys. I had this once, peed me right off because I specified that care needed to be taken!

If the metal is grated then i doubt it, if the metal is gouged out or tehre are marks where levers have been inserted then maybe.

But if you actually watch them change tyres there is no way they could grate it.

Recon someone's juyst come a tad close to the kerb while driving

53 plate 172
Re: Can you damage alloy why replacing a tyre?

Yes a careless tyre fitter can damage the alloys. I had this once, peed me right off because I specified that care needed to be taken!

Cheers Daz, is it worth me complaining then, I can't prove it. Peed me off because he must have known when he did it, t**t.

You aren't listening are you, read my post there is no point going in mouthing off looking like a t**t when they will just point out what i've done

Da

Less
What alloys are they as you don't say? I complained and I got a partial refund.
As Lunner says though, it depends on the damage as to whether you can claim.

Like i siad by pure nature of the machine they use goes round and round, not accross
liek you'd get if you kerbed it.

Post a pic up and i'll tell you if it was tyre fitter or kerb

53 plate 172
What alloys are they as you don't say? I complained and I got a partial refund.
As Lunner says though, it depends on the damage as to whether you can claim.

original alloys mate.

Any idea on cost to repair. I'll have to take a pic and post it.

had mine kerbed by a tyre fitter,didnt notice till i got home,rang the place,the manager spoke to the guy who did it and he admitted he had kerbed em,was well annoyed as he thought he could get away with it.got a new wheel in the end :D

53 plate 172
had mine kerbed by a tyre fitter,didnt notice till i got home,rang the place,the manager spoke to the guy who did it and he admitted he had kerbed em,was well annoyed as he thought he could get away with it.got a new wheel in the end :D

cheers for that, how did he kerb it? I drove my car into the place and then back out again.

cheers for that, how did he kerb it? I drove my car into the place and then back out again.

rammed his wedge thingy into the rim to put the tyre on and was rather abusive with it apparently

RenaultSport 172.
You called the police???

What a knobber, supprisewd they didn't do you for wasting police time

WTF YOU CALLED THE POLICE? hahahahahahahaha :p

Guys, how much to fix the alloy pls?
alloy refurbs are about £50-70 per wheel IIRC

You called the police???

What a knobber, supprisewd they didn't do you for wasting police time
He says he called the place, he doesn't say ploice.

Rage - read it all again.

Appologies, didn't read it properly lol

I'd put money on that being kerbing from your blurry out of focus picture

Clio 16V mk1 ph2
Tyre Fitter here, and we can't do something that bad...not with the machineand a lever!

May not be a kerb, could be something daft like if the cars lowered, you hit a pothole too quickly...

53 plate 172
Tyre Fitter here, and we can't do something that bad...not with the machineand a lever!

May not be a kerb, could be something daft like if the cars lowered, you hit a pothole too quickly...

Cheers mate, I went back to the trye place on the way to work this morning and they said the same thing, assured me the machine would not cause that damage and that it must have been kerbed.

I wasn't trying to pull a fast one, I just can't understand how I haven't spotted it before especially when cleaning the car.

Clio 16V mk1 ph2
No troubles, I get a lot of people trying to pull one on me, think a girl can't fit tyres properly.

True though, mind you I do that all the time, I'm forever finding new faults with it when washing it. I reckon you might have caught a pothole or something. It might have been a bit more noticable if it was kerbed...plus there'd be marks on the tyre too...