ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canal Project

As I'm not able to work much at the moment and need to regain some fitness I've been walking along my local canal pretty much every other day. Amazing place that I've had on my doorstep all my life but hardly ever gone near it. My aim is to shoot it for a whole year, as luck would have it the last few days have nicely covered 'winter'. To keep it fresh I'm just going to take one prime on each walk. All of these are with a 45mm 1.8 (Micro 4/3s so that's a 90mm equivalent).

Thoughts (and ideas) more than welcome...

8399483848_80dbc1f324_c.jpg

Kennet and Avon Canal, Bath by Harry_S, on Flickr

8399512044_53fbeefa2e_c.jpg

The George Inn, Bahampton by Harry_S, on Flickr

8399484128_5bfcdf94c6_c.jpg

8399511850_14bcd5c0a5_c.jpg

Kennet and Avon Canal, Bathampton by Harry_S, on Flickr

8399483280_b104471b8e_c.jpg

8399533860_a1a73de770_c.jpg

8399483636_84f483367f_c.jpg

Fiesta ST-3
Cool idea. I will stay hooked. Will be nice to see it develop through the seasons and what shots you get.

Awesome shots.
I really like your style of photo.
You also have a great eye for a shot.
Will keep watching this project develop!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea. You have some cracking shots so I will be keeping an eye on this.

Are you shooting a different spot on the canal each week or the same one so you can see the changes throughout the year (maybe a final time lapse video?)

Good idea. You have some cracking shots so I will be keeping an eye on this.

Are you shooting a different spot on the canal each week or the same one so you can see the changes throughout the year (maybe a final time lapse video?)

I have 3 particular access points to the canal easily accessible to me for a walk, so the vast majority of shots will be from those (probably a 3 mile stretch in total). So changes to particular areas should be visible. A vid at the end is a great idea, I was tempted to shoot some actual video as well as the camera shoots stunning 1080p 50fps footage, but I know next to nothing about video so not sure about that.

Feeling inspired, might very well order myself a 45 1.8 to accompany my 20 1.7, had no idea there was a 75!! How you finding it?

Superb, the 75mm is genuinely the best lens I've ever owned (and that's a very long, very expensive list), but the 45mm is an absolute belter too, got mine second hand for £150, which I was very pleased with.

Unfortunately had further complications with my health and was back in hospital again recently, so all my walking to get fit has gone back to square one. Got to start with the walking again next week, so back to the canal!

Sorry to hear that! Look forward to more shots.

The 45 is certainly a steal, even at rrp! Still enjoying m43 after all these years? Would have thought you'd have got back into a full DSLR setup

Sorry to hear that! Look forward to more shots.

The 45 is certainly a steal, even at rrp! Still enjoying m43 after all these years? Would have thought you'd have got back into a full DSLR setup

I did try full-frame briefly, glad to be back though. The system has grown so much in the past year. There is a Panasonic 150mm 2.8 due soon which will pretty much complete the system for me (that will be my primary motorsport lens).

I've been trying to get to grips with the Panasonic 100-300mm lately. It's tiny considering the ridiculous focal length, but the OIS works pretty well. I was pleased to capture these two...

8453328056_cabbdea51f_c.jpg

Kennet and Avon Canal: Robin by Harry_S, on Flickr

8522095426_402d7aab90_c.jpg

Kennet and Avon Canal: Grey Heron by Harry_S, on Flickr

8520984057_207dff401b_c.jpg

8520985523_60731244a0_c.jpg

I've seen two (possibly three) Kingfishers now, but not got anywhere near capturing a photo of one, they are incredibly quick. The Herons are quite amusing, they are so still and quiet I nearly walked into one on Saturday, scared the crap out of me!

Megane r26
I'm no photographer but those photos are great!

I must admit I live the canal, certainly miss riding down the toe path to work, especially first thing in the morning!