ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cannock/Stafford wheel bolt drill out

2014 Clio 200t edc
As above, anyone local able to get a wheel bolt out please? The head snapped off and left it in the hub.
Also can't get the disc off because the retaining screw is rounded. I've tried drilling but can't do it.
Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Hit the retaining screw round with a decent chisel, it usually undoes it pretty well.

Bolt should come out then with grips as there is nothing holding it in under torque/friction.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ah never thought of that. Need to get a chisel then. Thank you I'll give that a try

Make sure it's one that is the width of the retaining screw head or maybe slightly smaller and fairly sharp too, to aid it biting into the head otherwise you'll just be hitting the surrounding area.

May need to hit it square on first to get a groove in the head or even get a grinder to do that.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Why can't you drill it out? As long as you've got a decent drill and bit it should be pretty simple.

Drill it in the centre, tap a torx bit of something similar in and slowly twist it out.

2014 Clio 200t edc
it was an Allen fitting which rounded. I tried with the shocking drill and bits and just messed it up. I could get a cobalt drill bit but if the chisel idea will work I'll try that. A flat headed screwdriver being hit at an angel did nothing but cut into it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Need a chisel like this

coldchisel.jpg

2014 Clio 200t edc
Are they known as cold chisels? I'll pick one up tomorrow and see what mess I can make of it with that! Lol
Fingers crossed I'll get the bolt out once the discs out of the way.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Yup, cold chisel.

When you say 'shocking drill', did you have the drill on the hammer setting? That's only for masonry.

Centre punch the snapped bolt, drill a hole in it m on the drill setting then use the easy outs linked above to remove it.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Yup, cold chisel.

When you say 'shocking drill', did you have the drill on the hammer setting? That's only for masonry.

Centre punch the snapped bolt, drill a hole in it m on the drill setting then use the easy outs linked above to remove it.

No I meant rubbish drill and bits. Problem is the bolt hasn't snapped straight so I tried to drill into it and slipped off centre (due to my stupidity)
I'll pick up a chisel tomorrow and hope that works and then fingers crossed the bolt will come out with mole grips.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
No I meant rubbish drill and bits. Problem is the bolt hasn't snapped straight so I tried to drill into it and slipped off centre (due to my stupidity)
I'll pick up a chisel tomorrow and hope that works and then fingers crossed the bolt will come out with mole grips.

Lmao! What a pleb I am.

Still, try centre popping it to stop the drill wandering

2014 Clio 200t edc
Well got myself a cold chisel, small one, had a go and all it was doing was eating the bolt. No movement at all no matter how I hit it, or how many times I moved the chisel and tried different angles. Gutted!!
Is my only option now to drill it? Carbide drill bit?

2014 Clio 200t edc
Just ordered a blow torch too so I'll give some heat a try when that arrives. There's little left, I wondered whether to keep going and remove the head that way but thought better of it. Lol