ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 100-400mm

Clio mk1
Its a great lens but it will only fit canon cameras, you might be able to get a canon-nikon converter but they are expensive.

Ian

Focus TDCi
The 100-400mm is one of Canon's older lenses tbh, it's a great piece of kit but most people are expecting it to be updated soon.

The push-pull zoom is known for sucking in dust and due to its age the AF isn't the quickest. I'd probably give one serious consideration if I was looking for a longer zoom though.

Find it a little strange that you're looking to put a Canon lens on a Nikon body tbh! I know Nikon's lens range is a little lacking, but without knowing much about their range I would still have thought there would be a more suitable alternative.

Anyone got the above? Looks like a cracking bit of kit..

Would this fit a Nikon D90?

nope, mainly cause its a canon lens lol

you can't fit canon EF lenses on a nikon body due to physical attributes of the lens mount. you can fit Nikon lenses via an adaptor on to a canon though.

Cupra
Granted... it depends on what you are shooting. A moving subect does not require so much IS. Static birds at 500mm would require a tripod, the hands of a sniper or just a fast shutter.

Oil Burner
lol, i've never missed IS (i do have the hands of a sniper mind ;) )

Shoot 420mm handheld @ 1/320th quite alot at the moment. Thats Cricket, so something that would be better suited to IS too.

Maybe one day i will buy a long IS lens and be a complete convert.

Cupra
Mine are shocking, looking through the viewfinder at 300mm and I just see it wobbling all over the shop. I'm still waiting for the 70-200, which apparently has awesome IS so should save me. :)

Oil Burner
haha 200mm isnt long anyway. But IS would mean you can shoot slower shutter speeds on stationary things so you dont need to use high ISO's

Thats the main appeal to me.

A red missile
These were handheld at 400mm with the 100-400

IMG_3068.gif

IMG_3709.gif

IMG_5305.gif

IS ftw :)

Cupra
A mate bought one, and sold it two days later. Nasty, heavy thing that doesn't really do anything brilliantly.

Megane
A mate bought one, and sold it two days later. Nasty, heavy thing that doesn't really do anything brilliantly.

I feared that! Oh well, it is just one of those things that would be too good to be true and would ruin the market if it was good :D

Cupra
It's the weight of the thing that really kills it. For that range you would expect to use it as a walk around, but it is close to 2KGs. Sod carrying that anywhere!

Megane
It's the weight of the thing that really kills it. For that range you would expect to use it as a walk around, but it is close to 2KGs. Sod carrying that anywhere!

It seems to be popular amongst people who are in sandy environments and don't want to keep changing lenses much apparently :S

But as you said at 2kg, fook dat! Maybe if they made a titanium one with a f2.8 aperture :D

Oil Burner
I have to say i didn't find the 28-300 particularly heavy when i tried one. It wasn't light, but only as bad as a lot of pro lenses. Ironically the lens was rubbish though, soft as anything, but clearly faulty.

Any Canon Push-pull lens should be kept well away from any dust, they are renowned for sucking up dust.

Cupra
It's also very expensive. For the same money you can get a 24-70 f2.8L and a 100-400. Choices choices.

Megane
It's also very expensive. For the same money you can get a 24-70 f2.8L and a 100-400. Choices choices.

You're a wise man :D

I need to get rid of my bodies first before I buy anymore lenses :D

Just got a 10-22mm which is pretty sweet though :D

Oil Burner
10-22 is the best lens i've ever used. Love it!

Although i do fancy a go with a 16-35 or 17-40. Just got to find the time.