ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 5d Mk ll

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I have done a quick search, and there doesn't seem to be many topics on this camera.

Just after peoples thoughts about it really, ideally those that have/ or have used the 5d Mk ll.

I've owned 2 Canon camera's previously (current camera is a 20d, old i know), so im familiar with the setup of these and i already have the lenses, so i wont be moving over to Nikon :rasp:

What im after is a few opinions of the high iso capabilities and how it compares to other cameras in it's class. And any other bits you like about it personally.

I'll also be using the high def video mode which these are well know for. My dad has the 7d, which i believe uses the same digic 4 processor and similar, if not the same quality in video mode?

Any info is appreciated.

Mk2 ph1 clio
Just remember that the 20D takes EFS and EF lenses but the 5Dmkii only uses EF lenses.

It's a decent camera, i've used a couple of them and i was impressed by the high iso shots with very little noise! I've not used any other camera you could compare it to really as I own a 20D and 1Dmkii so can't comment on others!

overall it felt really nice and could see it being something i own in the future!

I've got a 7D - my best mate has the 5DMKII - I've used it a fair bit

High iso noise is amazing - one of it's best features. Just remember as above you'll need EF lenses and it's full frame - so that will have a massive impact on the lenses you have.
My 24-70mm f2.8L is extremely wide on full frame compared to on my 7D. You'll lose a lot of 'reach'

The video capabilities are amazing and virtually identical to the 7D. Only difference is the 7D can do 60fps for slow motion videos where the 5D can't.

The only other thing I'd say is if you're using it for portrait/landscape/building photography it's amazing. If you do a lot of fast moving action photography I would actually get the 7D instead as the 5DMKII's auto focus system is quite old now and not very quick :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the replies.

Yeah all my lenses are EF so no problem there. I'm aware of the difference there will be without the 1.6x crop factor of the 20d's sensor.

It will mainly be used for portraits and still photography, so i should be ok with autofocus not being as good as the 7d.

Cupra
They are fantastic cameras. The image quality is on another level overall, view an image at 100% for pixel peeping and it still looks as sharp as it did at normal resolution, which is something that my old 40D never managed.

It certainly performs well at high ISO. I don't ever worry about shooting at 1600/3200 if I need to. I have used a 1DIV for a couple of weeks and although that performed (much) better at the extreme high ISO, the overall image quality on the lower end (100-1600) seemed to be better with the 5.

As mentioned above, the focus system is a bit s**t. As it is full frame, all the focus points are fairly close to the centre compared to a crop camera. In low light, the outer focus points are pretty much useless, and you either have to place them on something with a lot of contrast, or just use the centre point and recompose. I wouldn't say that it was slow though, tracking with AI Servo focus can keep up with most panning shots or sports, but it obviously won't offer the flexibility of the 7D.

The only thing that I would sell it for would be a 5DIII - Assuming that it will have a better focus system.

Do it, you wont regret it, unless the 5DIII comes out a couple of weeks/ months later.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that Andy :)

I'll be getting one soon... if a Mklll comes out just after i get it, i'll just sell it and get that most probably.

As for the focusing, if i find the 20d good enough for me then i think the 5d will be a lot better for me

Cupra
I just use the 24-105 f4L and the 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII. I had a 50 f1.4 but the focussing on it went dodgy so I got rid. I'll probably pick up an 85mm prime at some stage as I do miss the wide aperture for some stuff but for the rest I am covered. I almost went for a 16-35, but I just wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

A lot of people go for the 24-70 f2.8 instead of the 24-105 but it comes down to what you are shooting. For me, the longer range and IS get more use than the extra stop would. I just bump up the ISO if I need to. It comes down to personal preference.

What lenses do you have already?

Cupra
You're good to go then! :)

What do you think of the Sigma 50?
I had a Tokina 12-24 and had really bad vignette until about 18mm. I think you'll find 17mm on the 5D insanely wide anyway. :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, i'm looking forward to seeing the first few wide angle pictures i take.

Regarding the Sigma 50mm, it's a good lens, solid build (as are most of the new Sigma lenses i think personally) the low aperture is great, background blur is easy to control. Crisp images with not too much chromatic aberration/distortion.

All-in-all it's well worth the money.