ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't jack car high enough..

Clio 182 FF
More of a rant and a question at the same time. Got a second hand piper exhaust to go on, got a day off work so went to fit it.. Can I jack the car high enough to get to it comfortably? Can I f**k.. I'm reluctant to pay someone else to do it because, quite frankly, I don't trust them to do a better job than me so I'm not paying them! Haha. Any tips on access for changing the exhaust?

RS172
Use a plank of wood on the jack? Stops the car slipping and also increases the height. Other than this buy a bigger jack or get some ramps?

Could also find a curb to park on a fair wack and then jack it from the path?

Clio 182 FF
Only got two axle stands so can either jack up the rear or one side. Halfords set tbh so nothing particularly great. I just don't trust garages with my cars anymore. Too many ripped under trays, wd40 sprays up the bonnet and greasy hand prints everywhere. I can only jack it up to get the axle stand to one slot higher than lowest, this is when jacking from the beam and stands on the sills.
Cheers by the way for the advice guys

RS172
I jack mine up from the front chassis, the weight of the rear is miniscule compared the the front and the front sits lower. Always brings the back up. Then just get one under the front and one on max length to the rear

172 cup, Impreza P1
4 axle stands or 2 axle stand and 2 ramps needed. Wouldn't recommend working under a car with just a trolley jack to save me.

you'll get enough height with that.

330i. E30 Touring.
Exhausts are a c**t on the floor always.

I'd much rather spend an hour phoning round for a friendly garage that will lend you a ramp for an hour rather than an hour under the car swearing.

Clio 182 FF
Thanks for the tips guys, thankfully a lad I know works at a local ford garage and has said I can use the ramp Saturday. Much simpler haha.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
When I changed my exhaust the other week I drove the front of the car up onto blocks of wood and herres fencing feet built up safely and then I jacked up the rear so the whole car was raised. Obviously had axle stands at the back along with the jack.
hyra3uma.jpg

Could have gone higher but that was ok for me

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
Jack up the front, put it on stands, do all work at the front, drop it down, move to the back. I've done full block back exhausts like this before.

My other car sits really really low; I have to jack it up, put it on stands then compress the springs, move the wheels up and slide ramps or wood blocks under then release the springs just to get about a foot of clearance. Dropping it down is a similar pain in the arse as even a scissor jack is too high! Man up a bit :p

2avyhapu.jpg