ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't Wait For...

Clio 172 Cup
...winter to come so I can enjoy my lightweight non electronic driver aided 172cup on the icy/snowy (but probably just wet) backwacks which is my daily commute. :dead:
I'm sure my work will benefit as I will be wide eyed and fully awake by the time/if I get there.
I've loved the drive (even in the wet) during the summer months as there are some great overtaking opportunities if the traffic goes my way, but have yet to drive the cup in the shite weather and road conditions of a British winter.
Has anybody got any scary winter driving stories that might send me sh*tting myself to the nearest Volvo dealer to trade in for one of their padded safety cells?

by the way just to spice things up I'm running 4 wanli tyres on my beast (guaranteed to put hairs on yer chest....or is that burnt toast?)

320d
as above, september to april is cup killing season, hopefully we won't see a killed cup this year.

I had to have my 1.2 in intensive car this year, that won't be happening again for sure!!!*

* note tears in january and thread titled "i've f**king done it again" :(

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
They're not that bad!

Just drive with care, and to the conditions, like you should do ;)

I'd change the ditch-finder rubber you have on though.

M2 / Golf GTI
Change your tyres or order your coffin now.

Just take it easy, give yourself more room and drive in accordance to conditions and you wont have any problems!

BMW E46 330i Touring
As said, they're hardy 900kg, 300bhp RWd beasts... people just think they're glued to the road in any conditions, when they're not.

The tyres sound fun!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
They're not that bad!

Just drive with care, and to the conditions, like you should do ;)

I'd change the ditch-finder rubber you have on though.
ffs.. i done 140 every morning on my way to work -3 on the temp display...

baws oot dont be pussies!!!!

Clio 172 Cup
Yup christopher next mod is four eagle f1s (and soon). Had these on one of my previous cars and vowed then to use them again (so much grip wet & dry and no noticeable change through wear). I have also on previous cars run Bridgestone potenzas (directional, okay but a bit noisy), Michelin pilot sports (lost so much grip about half way through the tyre life), Dunlop sports (pretty good on BMW) and Uniroyals (wanlis r better! fookin orangutan must have had goalie gloves on not to slip off (one for the more mature drivers;) )).
Abs, the fun comes when I return to the dealer who put them on the car drop one over his head then set it on fire (is this what happened to ghost rider?)

Family Bus
Just drive carefully!!! Please!! And get some grippy tyres on lol...

I hate winter on CS, so many 'RIP Clio' threads :(

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
If i can manage with a 280bhp/tonne westfield through winter you can do the same with a sodding clio

Not a clio, but a few years ago going to work in the morning in my Fiat Copupe 20VT....

Had snowed overnight and there was an inch or snow on the road. Going along in a straight line at 30mph on an unrestricted road the back end just came round with no warning.

There I was; sliding down my side of the road sideways, waving at the people driving past in the opposite direction.

Back end then went round the other way before finally straightening up.

The nearest i've ever been to a crash and it would have been the slowest lamest one ever

Clio 172 Cup
TYRE UPDATE:

Have fitted the Goodyear F1 GSD3s (all round)

Apart from looking the mutts nuts they have totally changed the dynamics of the car...for the better:D
Surefooted, predictable and soooo much more enjoyable. (Also so much more rubber bits on the sides of the car;) ) (is this grammatically correct?)

Gave them 500 miles before abusing them then really let rip going home from work late one night on the twisties. There's more grip than a Yorkshiremans fingers on a 5p piece! wet or dry. The cup really is a great car. The back did step out with lift off through some bends (I was averageing more than the national through most) but a dab of throttle keeps it all pointing in the right direction. I also should add that the lift off was through nervousness with the previous tyres and that since then I have had no recurrence on the same stretch of road at similar speeds.

The moral of this story is that between car and road is the tyre, therefore the most important modification to any car is that little bit of rubber that keeps you pointing in the right direction and away from potential dangers roadside. Choose carefully and if possible drive or be driven in a comparable car with good rubber to help with your decision (local meets are probably a great way to compare).

I would not say that the goodyears are the best tyre for the RS clio (I'm not that arrogant although my better half would probably disagree) as my only point of comparison is the sh*ttest of the sh*t. What I will say is that I would buy them again as they suit my driving style (very very late braker possibly due to having bikes before cars).

FOR OTHER MORE COMPREHENSIVE VIEWS ON DIFFERENT TYRES SEE THE STICKY IN THE CLIOSPORT TECHNICAL SECTION UNDER SUSPENSION, BRAKES, WHEELS AND TYRES.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its not a fucCking Hayabusa mate!

Get shot a they wanlis doube tap! There not tyres, there circular rubber rings for kids in the pool tbh

MCS R56
Just be carefull and remember the cup is the only car ever produced not to have any traction control.

Exactly...what did we ever do without driving assistance?

It's not the conditions that crash the car, it's the driver.

That'll be me with the Cup curse now!

BMW E46 330i Touring
As said, they're hardy 900kg, 300bhp RWd beasts... people just think they're glued to the road in any conditions, when they're not.

The tyres sound fun!
That would make it even more dangerous nitwit

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So many people crash them because they don't understand how to drive in winter conditions and simply assume their car will just stick to the ground regardless.