ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Amplifier help and Dashboard Install help!!

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
So today 01/02/2014 I installed a subwoofer and amp (amp I was given, sub I already had).

Ill get back to you what the model of the amp is but for now its a dual channel 200w (bridged) rms amp.

I have bridged the channels (2x100rms) to power a 10" Sony Xplod subwoofer (1200w yeah right! more like 100w)

Anyway I bought a cheap 8 gauge wiring kit, I am giving this system to my friend when he passes his driving test hence the cheap wiring, the wiring kit was crimped and soldered properly.

Drilled a hole through the cars firewall (need to put some paint on it and glue to fill the whole) this is to pass the power cable the ground that was included in the kit was only 1m so I installed this onto rear seat isofix bar making sure I sanded the paint away before screwing it in.

I check continuity with all the wires everything seemed ok.

As for the remote wire I just cut into the cigarette lighter and tapped into the blue cable. My pioneer headunit DEH-X9600BT has a remote wire out but I wasnt sure how it wanted to be connect so I didnt use it.

Heres a pic of the rear of the headunit with the blue and white remote wire that has a label on it and is crimped (from factory however it came seperated not joined like I have done but I wasnt sure what else to do with it) :L

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/jay_modi/IMG_4813_zpsf15352ac.jpg

Now when I turned on the car for the first time the green 'power' led on the amp did not come on, now I dont actually know if the amp runs fine but I was hoping it does!

I checked the voltages of input to the amp it was reading 14.4v which checkouts fine and I did the remote wire and that was like between 12v-14.4v so I guess that was okay.

When I checked the amps output channels the voltage was basically nothing at 0.203v so I guess my problem may lay here?

The amps fan came on and remained on, this might mean the amp is working but there just something preventing it from powering the sub.

Do you think it could be in protect mode? Although there is no LED on the amp to indicate this.

On to the dashboard

So basically I took my dash top out to hook up the wiring for headunit/amp and I used a guide to remove it (pulling the dash towards you and then lifting it up). However when I tried to put it back together I tryed lifting it over the steering wheel and it just got stuck and doesnt want to go any further in? I tried multiple times unfortunately damaging the material on the corner of the dash :(

heres a pic of the dash out:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/jay_modi/IMG_4804_zpsf07984ca.jpg

Sorry for the lack of images its night now and I have just spent all day trying to do everything will resume picks tomorrow.

HELP APPRECIATED :)

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
skinz I had to take it off to thread all the wires around the dashboard and to the side plastic trim. Also I have a few USB ports coming from my headunit so I have a USB extension, Iphone cable and Samsung/Satnav cable running behind the dash. This is not interfering with the dash as I put it back in tho.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
See I thought if i was able to read the voltage from the power input of the amp using the positive input and negative terminals then the ground would be fine. The DMM was reading 14.4v at the amp but nothing from the output channels. If the amp wasn't grounded I don't think it would of shown 14.4v? It might be the remote wire but I'll try plugging it in directly to the battery tomorrow to see if it powers up if not then I'll have to try something else! Thanks for the help :)

Clio 182
Where have you earthed the amp? Also if uncertain most Halfords stores (bigger ones) have a test rigs for subs/amps, if you plug it in there it would eliminate whether or not the amp is at fault, just a thought

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I have earthed the amp on to the rear isofix bar bolt. I sanded the paint away + insuring that the connection was good using a multimeter.

I am going to try my mates amp tomorrow to see if that works, hopefully it does and this can deduce some of the components from being at fault.

Polo + Micra
you did set the DMM to AC when measuring the output terminals

also you can put a small wire link from the +ve terminal to remote on the amp to get it to fire up