ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car audio advice

Hi I've just bought my first car a Renault Clio 1.2 Authentique and I would like to upgrade the car head unit & speakers.
I am buying a new head unit http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-deh-2320ub_p-26568.htm - Pioneer deh-2320ub
I am also going to buy a set of 5.25" co-axial speakers for the front doors http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-xtc520_p-26004.htm - Possibly these In Phase XTC520's

As my clio is the authentique model it doesn't have any rear speakers, so I am thinking about installing a set of 6x9 speakers into the parcel shelf rather than putting a second set of 5.25" co-axial speakers next to the back seats. The 6x9's would be http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-in-phase-xtc6930_p-26009.htm the In Phase XTC6930's

The new head unit has a built in 50W x 4 amplifier does this mean each speaker will only receive 50W of power?
If so does this mean I will need an external amplifier as the front speakers say 200W & the 6x9's say 400W?
If this is the case would I need a 2-channel amp or a 4-channel amp? & what power would the amp need to be in order to power the 4 speakers?

Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Personally I would buy 2nd hand instead, paitience pays and you can pick up some proper bargains. Not a fan of 6x9s myself but thats because I dont like rear fill. A good sounding setup would be components in the front, a sub in the boot and a bridgeable 4 channel amp powering them all.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
50W is the maximum power the HU amplifier outputs.

Same as your car 'having' 65bhp. It's only producing the max power figure at peak RPM, ~6000 or there abouts.

Don't bother with the speakers, stick a sub in the boot, small Fli one will do.. get a decent HU (Alpine is the only brand I'd use, higher up the range if poss) which does high/low pass frequency cutting and Bob's your uncle. Cut the low stuff off the speakers in the doors and let the sub do that which is what it's designed to.

Job done.

£25 speakers with tweeters below your knees will sound just as bad, if not worse than your current set up !

Patience & second hand market is definitely the way to go.

For example I bought a year old alpine HU from here, would fit the bill perfectly (subwoofer out connections & bass frequency filters) for the exact same price as that pioneer you're looking at.

Coaxials up front are good because they're a lot quicker to install than components, but the trade off is that they won't sound nearly as good. Pioneer do some 'perfect fit' component speakers which are a direct replacement for the Clio. For the money there is better, but they'll involve some cutting/glueing/drilling/re-wiring.

Last edited: