ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car cleaning!

Ive used various different ones:

Turtle Wax - not too bad, pretty standard stuff

Mer - which is good but seems to use a lot when you put it on (can fade quickly too)

AutoGlym - which is the Mutts, but is expensive

Teflon - just started using this stuff but seems to be doing ok at the mo.

I tend to wax with one of those colour restore ones first (like Turtle wax) then put a coat of Teflon on top to give it that shine.

Would also be interested in hearing what others use.

Mike

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I use AutoGlym and its fantastic, its goes on easy and you only need a little bit for the whole car. Comes on without any scrubbing and leaves no dust or owt! Shine lasts for ages as well but it is very expensive.

For the seats and carpets I use oxiclean, its much better then all that foam crap which still leaves the seat mucky!

Have recently (i.e. 12mnths) changed to Autoglym and its worth the money imo goes on easy and comes back off just as easy.

i use turtle wax and i think thats great. Leaves a lot of dust though but it gives a better shine when its put on damp.

pete

I use AutoGlym (fantastic shiny finish, goes on easy and comes off easy too). I used to use Turtle wax, but that was hard work and left a load of dust behind.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I agree with you Brun, when I use AutoGlym it always seems to leave dust behind, especially between the body panels. Having said that, I think its the best in terms of ease of use and results. I tried Zymol Polish, that produced a good shine but was a bit more hard work to use.

I dont think AutoGlym is that expensive, if your prepared to spend thousands on a decent car then 10 quid or whatever on a couple of months worth of polish isnt exactly a lot.

Rick

williams and trophy

i have tried allsorts in my time

but for the last 5 years ive been using autoglym stuff. so easy to use ,except on blue or black cars, as it does leave a lot of dust on these colours

jon

I always used autoglym,(exelent stuff!) Just tried teflon & this seems even better, the water realy seems to just fly off & the dirt seems to come off real easey!!

Quote: Originally posted by Captain Slarty on 03 November 2002

Car wash !!.. only a fiver (including tip) and the guy gives the wheels a special wash lol..

:)
Ive been giving some police cars wheels a "special wash", when walking home from town after a night on the beer, recently

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I use Turtle wax due to it not being abrasive. Autoglym is abrasive like most polishes so after a while your car will start to appear less shiny. I had my car silversealed so have to use non abbrasive products to keep the three year paint warranty.

Also use Autoglym Gloss protection and apply with autoglym polishing cloths.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by greeper on 04 November 2002

I use Turtle wax due to it not being abrasive. Autoglym is abrasive like most polishes so after a while your car will start to appear less shiny. I had my car silversealed so have to use non abbrasive products to keep the three year paint warranty.

Also use Autoglym Gloss protection and apply with autoglym polishing cloths.
Greeper I am not being funny mate but I have always used Autoglym SuperResin polish and the car gets polished every weekend and then HighGloss finished every month or so. People who have seen my car have commented on how shinny it is and then run their hand down the body work and comment that it is like glass. I get no red residue on my white cleaning rags due to paint being taken off either !

I was talking to a ChipsAway guy, and he said that you should only apply polish to the paintwork 2 or 3 times a year. Anymore, and you risk degrading the paintwork.

My tuppence worth...........

I love the Turtle Wax Stuff.. Its what Im going to use from now on.

Turtle Wax Bumper/Tyre/Dash shine is fantastic too.

Oh, Did I mention the Turtle Wax Shampoo? Thats great stuff - No streaks, water marks etc... the Halfords Own Shampoo does come close to it though.

Daz.

Oh, Did I mention I like Turtle Wax products? :) Halfords had an offer on where I got 3 for 2... Wax, Bug and Tar Remover and the Bumper/Tyre/Dash Shine... So I thought I might aswell try it (I used to use only Autoglym stuff before... At the moment, I only use the Autoglym Glass Cleaner)

I do need to give my car a good clean and wax sometime though I think - Winter is approaching quick.

PS, The above post makes no sense, please ignore. Thank You. :)

Audi S3

Again cheers for all the replys!

Ive gone for the autoglym stuff and ill be giving it a test run so as the builders give me the drive back and its not raining! ill even give a report on how it goes when done :D

Matt

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Now I know this sounds a bit stupid but to put it on dip the cloth in water that you apply it with a then ring it out so it is damp then apply the polish with the damp cloth. It goes on better and comes off easier as well.

Last word in vehicle surface preparation... Meguiars.

www.meguiars.co.uk

also, if you have a poundland on your high street, buy some of the ultra microfibre cleaning cloths they sell, theyre bright orange and absolutely superb for taking off wax, the best thing I have ever used... honestly. And, obviously, only a quid each. i was so impressed I went back and bought a tenners worth.

face