ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car crash :( Poor clio slammed shunted at the back

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
Hey guys, so bit of a problem, on friday just gone my car got slammed into the back of. insurance (admiral) will pay out 1000 odd for the car, of which i will get to keep it (they offered me 1100 but that would be car taken!). I am guessing from the damage i can see that it will be a CAT C... had a good look under the car with a mechanic and the axle even appears to be in good shape and its actually legal to drive right now afaik all light clusters ok, axle ok, exhaust ok lol.

Bit confused about the whole category process tho... and in a nutshell is it worth me even putting this car back on the road, or do you think i should just brake it for spares? i mean, everything is ok, minus the bumper and rear metal parts!

The other issue, ofc would be selling it in the future, but i would just run it into the ground i think untill then.

114k mileage 04 year car. as u can imagine, being a member on here, well i love this car to bits, kept it well maintained and all that, such a shame really that sum muppet was behind me. typical.

Guess i just wanna know what you guys think, in all honesty!
Pics below :D

20150622_182052.jpg

20150622_182101.jpg

20150622_182118.jpg

20150622_182212.jpg

20150622_183101.jpg

20150622_183109.jpg

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
A lot of damage has been saved by the spare wheel by the look of it.
If you are happy enough, just get a rubber mallet and knock it back somewhere near the shape.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
You need to know what category write off it is before proceeding.

Cat D - as long as it's road legal you can put it straight back on the road
Cat C - will require a VIC test before being allowed back on the road (and a new MOT I think)

Focus RS + S3
this happened to my clio beginning of the year, wrote off CAT C and bought it back, but being my daily i really didn't mind, hammered the boot floor straightish and i went to book it in for a VIC but there was a massive waiting list, but i wanted the car for work, the guy at VOSA said that it wasn't a necessity to get it done (weird i know) and i'm still using the car with the existing valid MOT that was on the car before the bump.

he said as long as its taxed insured and mot'd its fine (maybe as i already have the logbook) i'm not sure if he told me it wasn't required as its been in a bump before and had a VIC check previous to this but i've been using the car for months, i've had plenty of traffic police behind me whilst driving so if there was an issue they would have pulled me

bit of a grey area to be honest as i couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
this happened to my clio beginning of the year, wrote off CAT C and bought it back, but being my daily i really didn't mind, hammered the boot floor straightish and i went to book it in for a VIC but there was a massive waiting list, but i wanted the car for work, the guy at VOSA said that it wasn't a necessity to get it done (weird i know) and i'm still using the car with the existing valid MOT that was on the car before the bump.

he said as long as its taxed insured and mot'd its fine (maybe as i already have the logbook) i'm not sure if he told me it wasn't required as its been in a bump before and had a VIC check previous to this but i've been using the car for months, i've had plenty of traffic police behind me whilst driving so if there was an issue they would have pulled me

bit of a grey area to be honest as i couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere

You sure it was Cat C? Cat C goes on the V5C (logbook) so this would have been taken off you beforehand. You can't get a replacement V5C until a VIC has been completed.

If this is the case, you are driving that car ilegally as far as I know.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/overview

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
lol so they have asked me to just send them pictures then they will assess it and decide what category it is, which like i reckon will be C. thing is, as soon as i do that the car will be written off right? or does it get written off once they receive the logbook....

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
lol so they have asked me to just send them pictures then they will assess it and decide what category it is, which like i reckon will be C. thing is, as soon as i do that the car will be written off right? or does it get written off once they receive the logbook....
So you have the car back and they want pictures? Why don't you bash it back into better shape and then send them some pictures. Nothing to lose.

mk1 Octavia VRS
You sure it was Cat C? Cat C goes on the V5C (logbook) so this would have been taken off you beforehand. You can't get a replacement V5C until a VIC has been completed.

If this is the case, you are driving that car ilegally as far as I know.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/overview

My Octavia was rear ended last year and recorded as a cat C. The overview on that link basically says you only need a VIC to sell the car. It doesn't say you can't legally drive a car with a VIC marker.

My original MOT was still valid. My understanding is that the insurance company might want the car MOTed again after repair if its likely to have had more than just cosmetic damage, but there's no other requirement than that. Car had a VIC marker obviously but I didn't have to send the V5 off. I had a VIC test done before the car was repaired just to save the hassle of doing it later. I even (legally) drove the car to the VIC while it was SORN.

OP: lucky they are happy to do it just by sending pictures - much more common sense approach for a low value car with minor damage. I'd guess it'll be a cat C. So long as you can repair it for <£500 I'd probably keep it. Is the tailgate damaged? The bumper looks OK from the pics other than being out of alignment. Not sure if there's a crash bar behind the rear bumper - if there is then it might need replacing.
Make sure you're not getting done over with the valuation put on it - look at price guides (confused.com, CAP, wisebuyers, Glass'). On first glance it looks OK though.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
My Octavia was rear ended last year and recorded as a cat C. The overview on that link basically says you only need a VIC to sell the car. It doesn't say you can't legally drive a car with a VIC marker.

My original MOT was still valid. My understanding is that the insurance company might want the car MOTed again after repair if its likely to have had more than just cosmetic damage, but there's no other requirement than that. Car had a VIC marker obviously but I didn't have to send the V5 off. I had a VIC test done before the car was repaired just to save the hassle of doing it later. I even (legally) drove the car to the VIC while it was SORN.

OP: lucky they are happy to do it just by sending pictures - much more common sense approach for a low value car with minor damage. I'd guess it'll be a cat C. So long as you can repair it for <£500 I'd probably keep it. Is the tailgate damaged? The bumper looks OK from the pics other than being out of alignment. Not sure if there's a crash bar behind the rear bumper - if there is then it might need replacing.
Make sure you're not getting done over with the valuation put on it - look at price guides (confused.com, CAP, wisebuyers, Glass'). On first glance it looks OK though.

typically my tax runs out 1st of august! so i guess when it runs out it will need a VIC before i can tax it. sigh.
MOT - yer makes sense reli, i mean it wud be stupid to drive something unsafe? right... lol like i would ever do that!
the tailgate is not damaged, but it requires a very heavy hand to shut it, i think the lock bolt just needs a little adjustment.
There is no crash bar, only plastic bar things, so i dunno....
well they offered 1040 plus keep the car. or 1100 and they take the car!
i originally bought the car for £1795 in 2011 at 66k miles.
it now sits on 114k, has had 2 rear slams, 1 new rear passenger door and a mass of work to the front end (maintenance etc)

anyone that i sell the car to, would probably walk away thinking holy crap that cars been through slaughter! truth be told, it kinda of has, but it has survived the test of time and countless issues and multiple impacts of some sorts. ofc, the assumption is the driver is treating the car like rubbish, when in reality i have just had some damn bad luck.
I have contemplated putting it back on the road for maybe 6 months, then braking it on my driveway. as far as i know, everything is mechanically sound with the car, and thus the parts have a good amount of value alone. then ofc get a scrap metal merchant to pick the body up lol.
i think i will inevitably sell it as spares to dudes on here. its so annoying currently not having a car, so at least making it roadworthy for the time being i guess is a good idea.