ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Insurance For the 200

Hi all, new to the club and to forums (ish) so hope ive posted in the right place.
Ive just bought a clio sport 200 with the cup chasis as i need it for every day use and i wanted the best of both worlds, I pick this up on the 1st of september as i wish to have the new number plate. Due to my age (21) i new before i bought the car that i may have trouble getting insured so i did the research but as the car had just come out in may they didnt have the car on their systems so i explained my spec and everything was said to be fine etc and the price would be around £1000.
2 weeks before i pick the car up and suddenly i cant get insured with most companies as "the cup chasis" is a mod. Something which is total rubbish as it is clearly a optional extra. I said "why can i get insured on the cup and the sport but not the sport with the cup chasis". Basically 90% of insurance companies class it as a mod and wont insure you if you are under 25.
I then found insurance for around £1500 with admiral for just 10 months so an extra £500 for a £400 optional extra.

I called adrian flux today and they were able to do it at £950 which im mega pleased about so basically if anyone is having a problem getting insured then i suggest you give them a call. Its taken me days to sort this so i thought i stop anyone else having their time wasted but giving the same information to loads of companies just to be turned down.
The comparison websites say a mod is something outside of the factory, however in small print the insurers policy takes priority so you cannot get around it buy doing it through confused.com

Anyway hope this helps people like me.

RS200
Thanks mate! Yeah im getting mine at the end of september and i got quoted £1,180 but its only valid up until end of this month. so im gunna have to get re-quoted.
I did it through confused and there was no option of the cup chassis being extra?
Adrian flux looks like a bargain though! thanks for the heads up
Im 21 too with 4 yrs ncb
btw is that fully comp?

Yes mate fully comp with 3 year ncb. It is stupid that they even class the black painted alloys as a mod. If you tell them you are a club member i think you get 10%.

It's not a mod. There were problems like with with the 182 and Jeremy from Renault UK called one of the insurance companies to explain.

I wouldn't have even mentioned it. It's a 200. You wouldn't tell them if you had the stereo upgrade.

It's a standard car.

RS200
sweet i,ll give that a go. i just need a bloody collection date from renault so i cant sort insurance! I think renault do 7 days free drive away insurance, might see if a can get that too.

RS200
It's not a mod. There were problems like with with the 182 and Jeremy from Renault UK called one of the insurance companies to explain.

I wouldn't have even mentioned it. It's a 200. You wouldn't tell them if you had the stereo upgrade.

It's a standard car.

But if you have an accident and the insurance company say the cup chassis is a mod that has not been declared your cover could be invalidated?

Well perrys (who i got it from) had to do it through fiat as their normal 7 days free company (aviva) didnt have the 200 on their systems. "you have a 1.4 clio campus sport" "no a 200" but it must be this campus.... NOOOO

clio 197
been with flux a few years now, great for modding cars,

i,m paying £340 fully comp for my 197 with the cup pack as well,

being 35 does have its advantages (sometimes),lol

M2 Competition

It's a standard car.

Yup.

The standard spec does not include the cup chasis which in their eyes makes it a mod, its stupid i know...

M2 Competition
The standard spec does not include the cup chasis which in their eyes makes it a mod, its stupid i know...

If i rang my insurance and said that i'd fitted Pirelli tyres, they'd try and class it as a mod, and charge me more for it... believe it or not, insurance companies will try and make money from you if they can.

As Revels has said, the insurance company dont have a clue what cup packs are, its been researched before with the head of Renaultsport, you dont need to declare them as a mod.

They're an oem part, and theyre how the car came from the factory as standard.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
^^ agree when i insured i said it had cup packs he just said its a standard factory fit so wasn't bothered

I wouldn't bother mentioning it, like Peperami said if they're being that anal then even changing the brand of tyre fitted to the car is a modification.