ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Maintenance

Vectra
Right, like everyone I hate paying garage prices, it always seems that garage prices charge the same as the part itself if not more! I cant stress enough how sick I am!

So I feel its time to start learning!

What does people recommend I do?
What Advice is out there? Any decent manuals?

Any other advice would be great!

Thanks

LY Megane R26 230
Also a decent tool set like the halfords 150 kit.its usually on offer every coupe of weeks at 100 pounds.

Black 172
If you've got the resources (garage + storage) then buy a cheap car and break it for parts. Good experience, and it's possible to make money from it.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
If you've got the resources (garage + storage) then buy a cheap car and break it for parts. Good experience, and it's possible to make money from it.

+1 I learned a huge amount by doing this & now I've got the knowledge, skills-ish :eek: and confidence to be doing engine conversions by myself.

Don't be too harsh on garages & their prices as at the end of they day they need to make money to pay the bills just like the rest of us

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
To be fair though *some* garages do take the piss but then if you see what they're driving its obvious how they pay for em.

The flip side to that coin is that sometimes though "Joe Public" wants the world for nothing and as above, we to have mortgages to pay, kids to feed and buy for, etc. I had a middle age lady bring an '02 Fiat Punto in for a timing belt service for which I charged her £140 to supply and fit a new timing belt kit, water pump, coolant and thermostat. I advised the water pump be done before even touching the job as it was noisey so took the time to explain why we advise the change of pumps and she agreed on the work/price. Great, a nice little afternoon job especially as it turned out the pump was leaking and the bearing race had excessive play in it so it did need changing so afterwards. I called the customer to say it was ready for collection and her husband came with her - imediately through the door he started acting the tw*t:

HIM: "I paid £95 for this job last time"
ME: "When was this not recently I assume?"
HIM "About 3years ago"
ME: "Well they didn't change your water pump then as the casting is date marked March 2001" (Note the car was an 02 plate)
HIM: "How do you know, they did and I'm not an idiot you know"
ME: "Here's your old pump and notice how its knackered and the production dates stamped in the casting? This is a genuine Fiat pump and not les than 3 years old"
HIM: "Yes but thats not the point, I've never heard of a water pump being changed at the same time as the timing belt"
ME: "Well I do the job properly and advise accordingly. I can't comment on other garages advice"
HIM: "Well give me £40 off then"
ME: "Erm, I can't do that i'm afraid and the bill is the bill to which your wife has already okayed before I touched the vehicle"
HIM: "Well we're not paying anymore than £120"
ME: "Well i'm afraid you can't have your vehicles keys out of the key safe then. Do you really think the bill is that un-reasonable?"
HIM: "That's not the point, the point is its more than last time"
ME: "So waht is the point? I know times are hard but do you really expect me to work for nothing as the job isn't a massive profit"

This went on for at least 20 minutes till he eventually signed the bill and paid up but apparently i'm still a cowboy! Sometimes the customer can be an all knowing "jack of all trades, qualified in non" massive bell end!

Mick

I'm in a similar position to you mate, I definitely recommend getting a Haynes Manual! When I was a signed up member on here, the guides section was also very handy :)

I've seen the exact same as Mick has mentioned when at my mates garage. All that's missing is the hat and the curly hair.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Pay for forum membership, gain access to the guide section, happy spannering

There's also a 3 disc 'workshop manual' for near all Renault cars on ebay that's pretty handy. From memory I think it's called dialysis by a company called Re-nol, or something along those lines. ;)

Vectra
Thanks for comments, I will get a Haynes Manual and a full took kit

does Haynes manuals have everything in from the basics right upto the more difficult jobs?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Normally yes - from changing oil to changing a wheel.

Step 1 - disconnect the battery lead :lol:

RB 182
TBH I've never really got on with the haynes manuals myself.

I can normally work out what im meant to do for the smaller jobs (usually i just undo everything i can see until the bit i want to replace falls off lol) Anything more tricky and ill have a look on the net - as they are usually better guides with pictures etc.

The guides section on here is quite good and if there isnt a guide you can post up a thread asking for help and someone will usually reply to it within the hour. Much better spending £10 on full membership than on a haynes IMO.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Aye, simple stuff is much easier than you think. It is more daunting than anything, but get yourself the tool kit from Halfords, some axel stands and a trolley jack, and you can add to it as you need to. That is what I did. I still get a service at Mini once a year to keep the service book stamped up, but do oil changes every few months, do my own renewables when they are needed etc. Just saved £160 by fitting my own pads and hoses.

As much as people don't like Haynes manuals, they are helpful, it is also nice when you are pulling something to bits, to refer to other things in the book that you don't know what they are, or you need to remove them to gain access etc.