ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car not starting

Clio 172
Help my car won't start - any advice or suggestions welcome!!!

The problem is intermittent but is here now - car would not start last night and still the same this morning :( . The car is an 03 plate 172.

When it first happened I called out recovery - they had a look couldn't find anything wrong (although all he did was make sure there was no loose electrical connections under bonnet and pulled off the petrol pipe from where it connects into the fuel supply rail at the front of the cylinder head to make sure petrol was getting thro). When he'd done that we tried to start the car and it fired up!!!

All was ok for a few weeks then it happened again - and has done so about half a dozen times since. Each time I have done the same thing - pull off the fuel pipe and re-connect it. Sometimes it starts first time after, sometimes takes a few goes before starting.

Last time it happened I noticed there are two O rings on the pipe fitting that go into the fuel supply rail and one was perished and had snapped. I pushed it back into place as best I could and got the car started. I thought this must be the problem.

However, last night when car would would not start, I got my brother to come over in his 172 and took the O ring from his car and put it on mine but it still would not start. Also, we tried his with the O ring removed and it still started and ran OK. :S

I now have a new O ring but now think this is not the problem - any ideas welcome on best things to check.

clio 172
im gettin a bit of a problem too with it not starting, im thinking mine is electrical though. last week friday it took me about 10min to start and again last night and a few hours ago.

it starts off by not really wanting to start then there will be nothin and will be dead, i just keep trying and trying and eventually it just starts as normal? so that electrical?

Clio 172
ok update time - i fitted the new o ring and car still didnt start. then i tried pushing two electrical connectors that are in the area of the fuel supply rail - one just under where the fuel pipe connects and one at the other end. I cant see / make out what the are connections for but after i did that the car started ok!!!!

BMW F31
if i was a betting man i'd say it was the TDC sensor!!

do a search for a thread i started ages ago.

TDC just needs a good clean or replacing (which is a pain more than expensive)!!

BMW F31
my guessing is it'll turn pver but only after god knows how many turns pf the key, then one day it'll turn over first time, then it'll start misbehaving again, if it does this mackemalk then its 99% the TDC Sensor :D

Clio 172
It turns over but does not start.

When you first turn the ignition on, before turning all the way to start the petrol pump should start working to make sure the fuel system is pressurised and there is fuel at the injectors ready to start. If you listen you can hear the pump - easier to hear with door / window open.

Ive now noticed that sometimes this is not happening. When it doesnt, I turn the ignition off and back on again and if i hear the pump kick in i turn the key to start and it fires up first time.

Could this be the pump on its way out or a dodgy connection or maybe a dodgy relay?

BMW F31
could well be if your sure the pump isnt always priming, i'd either get it looked at or have a look yourself, see if theres a loose connection etc.