ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car not starting

P2 172, 125d M Sport
My car won't start this morning. This has happened a couple of times now, but usually starts eventually. I am driving the car regular, but did not drive it yesterday. It seems if I don't use the car for a day this can occur. The only light displayed on the dash is the battery light. Am I just stating the obvious and it needs a new battery?

clio 172, pulsar, evo
think you just answered your own question.

The lights prob comming on for a reason. get a volt meter across it or get it checked at kwikfit for free.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
doesnt the battery light come on if the ignition is on and not the battery??
cz mines always on if the engine isnt.

does it turn over??

it cud be anything,

feul pump,
distibutor (or just the cap)
crank sensor,

or could just the battery getting old.

clio 172, pulsar, evo
yea, i mean it could well be anything. but if the battery light comes on when you driving then its a bit of a sign.

many cars can start behaving strangely when their batteries are dying. my tvr's earth had failed and the battery slowly flatted and lights would come on and off and the car would have a rough idle or stall.
my mates 206 would flash indicators or windscreen wipers go on and off. that turned out to be the altenator.
buy my evo did nothing strange just wouldnt turn over and needed jumped it would run ok if driven every day but leave it a day or 2 and it was completley flat again. it just couldnt hold its charge for long.

By testing the battery it rules it out. then we can go on to the ignition and fueling etc.

if you can get it started with a jump start that will ruel out a few things!
did it start at all yet?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
is the battery light coming on whilst the car is running??

bit off topic sorry, but i had random dash lights coming on when i braked,

the lights warning beeped came on if i opened the door with the hazards on :S
it was just the rear light conection had corroded,

like allyrs sais,
just start trying to rule things out,
such as bumping it,
batteries only last around 5 years
saying that, if the battry is flat,
i cant imagine it would start 'eventually'
would it not have less and less charge so it just gets worse??