ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car often won't start, multiple lights come on and other problems :(

Renault Clio 1.2 01
I've been having multiple problems with my mark 2 phase 1 1.2 2001 clio recently which I can't work out why..

Firstly, the car sometimes doesn't start when first turning on the engine and takes a few tries to get going. sometimes it will start, but then imediately fail and turn off.

Secondly i'm having problems with the dash board; The speedometer works when it wants to so half the time i don't know how fast i'm going, some lights seem to come on - the oil and 'stop' light seem to come on often when my oil levels are fine (just under max, have checked several times)

I have also had to pull over several times because I have lost power to the engine. Once was because a fuel lead had come apart in the engine bay? I had to click it back together and it came apart about 3 weeks later. Another time the oil, stop, and battery light came on and the engine stopped as i was doing about 50mph and had to pull over. I turned the engine on again and had problems for the rest of the journey. The most recent time occured a couple of days ago where i lost power to the engine although the engine was still on. I had to pull over onto the hard shoulder as i was on the motorway and when I was stopped the engine was idling at over 1,000rmp? usually its around 700, not sure if that could be linked. I turned the engine off and on, and resumed my journey.

Since then I think my car feels different, i'm not sure if it's me imagining it but my accelerator pedal seems very slightly unresponsive and underpowered to the usual? I could just be thinking it though.

I still have problems starting the car everyday and lights keep coming on, I feel as though I should know whats going on as i've just finished my engineering course at college haha.

But thanks for reading and any help and advice is greatly appreciated, hopefully none of these problems are hugely expensive to fix!

Ged

PD130 Peach
Not so sure on most of your problems but remember the oil light Is not for low oil level but low oil pressure. And as you know running with no oil pressure is as bad as having no oil. But could just be a sensor or electrical fault...

Clio 172 Mk2
you could do with getting a diagnostics machine hooked up mate to see what fault codes have been stored. Have you checked your crank sensor? My mate was experiencing similar problems recently and it turned out his crank sensor was covered in oil