ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Photography - What lens?

What suggestions people? Not really so much the motorsport/moving side of things but close up/posed sort of thing.

Ive seen lots of people seem to use the 10-20mm would that be a good investment?

This is for a D40 so needs to have the auto focus built in..

Cheers :)

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
shame the d40 doesnt autofocus but you will need telephoto so something like the 70-300mm APO sigma lens should do the job nicely

I'd try a camera lens.

I'm not well up on this kinda thing though, so I'd get some second opinions.

I believe McBunny used a camera once, he'll be an expert on them.

D

dick

a UWA will distort heavily close up. probly normal range would be best.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
10-20 is good but i would also go with a 50mm can get some nice dof shots with it... learn to manual focus, will make you a better photographer :p

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
an uwa corrective lens would be the PERFECT lens however... u dont wanna know how much they cost

VaVa
I'd try a camera lens.

I'm not well up on this kinda thing though, so I'd get some second opinions.

I believe McBunny used a camera once, he'll be an expert on them.

Fuckin LOL

Nifty 50 or now my 10-20 sigma..... distorts terribly that's not always a bad thing tbh

Did some shots today, used a 10-22 + 70-200, was being lazy and the car wasn't clean so didn't do any close up/detail shots but would probably reach for a prime.. pics up in 15 mins or so..

Wide
2375597288_09b6a8b2d5.jpg

Long
2375596976_f6ce5094dd.jpg

Others...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pete-eos/sets/72157604320942455/

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
10-20 dont distort at 20mm... well its hardly noticeable lol... if u have a 50 i would practice with that but shoot with a narrow dof in mind...

Tough one, I always use a combination of Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 50mm for a car shoot, the 10-20 being great for wide/distorted shots, and the 50mm being great for details. As you are shooting static manual focus shouldn't be an issue.

As mentioned though, the 10-20 can shoot non distorted at the long end...

10mm, distorted
200413920_GuLd6-M.jpg

20mm, 'normal'
220031954_Dr22k-M.jpg

I would still say the 50mm is the best car photography lens I have though, it's much sharper and lets you do clever things with dof.

220032532_AF3Uf-M.jpg

220027477_hHDfU-M.jpg

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
The sigma is great for some different shots of cars all disorted, but for pure picture quality and sharpness, its got to be the 50mm. Just keep practising your manual focus!